Microsoft KB Archive/58891
Word Cannot Open the Existing NORMAL.DOT
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Word for Windows, versions 1.1, 1.1a, 2.0, 2.0a, 2.0a-CD, 2.0b, 2.0c, 6.0, 6.0a, 6.0c
In Microsoft Word for Windows you may receive the error message:
Word cannot open the existing NORMAL.DOT.
Cannot open existing NORMAL.DOT.
The following are possible causes for this problem:
- There is not enough available memory to open the NORMAL.DOT file.
Close all applications you are not currently using. Remove any memory-resident programs loaded.
- The file NORMAL.DOT may be corrupted. Try renaming NORMAL.DOT and reloading Word for Windows.
- NORMAL.DOT has been saved as a document file and is no longer a template.
- NORMAL.DOT is located on a network file server.
NOTE: Word must be closed when renaming.
For For additional information about using NORMAL.DOT on a network server, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q115717 21st User Cannot Open Shared, Read-Only File on Novell 3.11
Additional query words: 1.x 2.0 winword2 word6 winword 6.0
Keywords : kbtemplate
Issue type :
Last Reviewed: November 4, 2000