Microsoft KB Archive/244034
Article ID: 244034
Article Last Modified on 10/25/2006
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack 1
This article was previously published under Q244034
A Microsoft Windows 95-based or Microsoft Windows 98-based computer that is running the Systems Management Server 2.0 client may stop responding (hang) when you open an e-mail attachment or associated file.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Systems Management Server version 2.0. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
236325 How to Obtain the Latest Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Systems Management Server version 2.0 This problem was first corrected in Systems Management Server version 2.0 Service Pack 2..
To install the hotfix:
- Log on to your site server using an account with administrative privileges.
- On the site server, close the SMS Administrator console.
- Run the Q244034.exe hotfix file you received and follow the directions in the wizard.
After the wizard is finished, allow the updated Compver.ini and Clicore.exe files to be propagated to all Logon Points and/or Client Access Points (CAPS) in the site.
NOTE: The default Client Configuration Installation Manager (CCIM) polling interval is 23 hours. Therefore, it may take up to 23 hours for the hotfix files to be propagated to the clients. To speed up this process, use any of the following methods:
- Stop and restart the SMS Client Service on each client. For Microsoft Windows NT, simply stop and restart the service. For Windows 95 or Windows 98, a restart is required.
- Create a software distribution for one of the Resource Kit tools (Setevnt.exe or Cliutils.exe), along with the appropriate parameters to start a CCIM work cycle. The tools are located on Systems Management Server (SMS) 2.0 CD-ROM 2.
For Setevnt.exe the syntax is:
For Cliutils.exe, the syntax is:
Cliutils KICK "Client Configuration Installation Manager"
- If you have the Networking Logon Client Installation option enabled, have users log off and back on.
- Have users run SMSMan manually.
NOTE: Windows 95/98 clients may require a restart after the hotfix files have been installed to receive full hotfix functionality. To verify this, review the Clicore.log file after the update. If a restart is required, the entry listed below is logged. Because of the nature of this hotfix, Microsoft recommends that a mandatory restart policy be used for all Windows 95/98 computers after the hotfix has been applied.
Reboot required - disabling component until reboot
Keywords: kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbbug kbfix kbsms200fix kbsms200sp2fix KB244034