Microsoft KB Archive/242498
Article ID: 242498
Article Last Modified on 10/25/2006
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack 1
This article was previously published under Q242498
When the Component Status Summarizer generates or receives a large number of replication files, it may become backlogged.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Systems Management Server version 2.0. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
236325 How to Obtain the Latest Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Systems Management Server version 2.0 This problem was first corrected in Systems Management Server version 2.0 Service Pack 2..
To install the hotfix, follow these steps:
- Copy the Q242498.exe file from the disk on which you received it to a share on your network. This is a Microsoft Windows Installer file that updates specific files on your site server.
- Log on to your site server using an account with administrative privileges.
- On the site server, close the SMS Administrator console.
- Run the executable file that you copied in step 1 and follow the directions in the wizard.
This hotfix is one part of a set of three related hotfixes. You should install all three for the best performance. For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
242496 SMS: Advertisement and Site System Status Summarizers Have Performance Problems in Large Hierarchies
This hotfix contains the following changes to the Component Summarizer:
- Removes the six-second delay before processing a replication file.
- Changes the default replication interval for the Component Summarizer from five minutes to ten minutes.
Changes the Component Summarizer so that it explicitly does not replicate even after the default ten-minute timer has expired if the only incoming status messages have to do with any Summarizer replication actions. Any other incoming messages cause replication to occur after the replication timer has expired.
This replication timer is configurable in the Site Control file. To set the timer for every 15 minutes, use the following line:
PROPERTY <Replication Interval><><><900>
NOTE: This is configurable for every summarizer, but the defaults for Offer and Site System are still five minutes.
Additional query words: prodsms component replication summarizier
Keywords: kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbbug kbfix kbsms200sp2fix kbstatsum KB242498