Microsoft KB Archive/170245
Article ID: 170245
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Project 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Project 98 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q170245
In Microsoft Excel 97, if you open a comma-separated variable text (.csv) file that was created in Microsoft Project, you receive the following error:
When you save the file as a .csv file in Microsoft Project, the text string, "ID", is appended to the beginning of the file. This causes Microsoft Excel to interpret the file as a SYLK file. Microsoft fails to convert the file and displays the error message when it cannot recognize other field identifiers in the .csv file.
To work around this problem, use either of the following methods:
- Save the Microsoft Project file in the Microsoft Excel Workbook (.xls) format.
- If you need to use a .csv format, open the .csv file and insert a space before the ID text string.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Additional query words: prj2000 The SYLK File format is not valid
Keywords: kbbug kberrmsg kbinterop kbpending KB170245