alex983

Windows 98 SE

Post by alex983 »

Does any one know were i can get Windows 98 Second Edition ISO

Here is the picture of the desktop: Image

beta.a.brian

Re: Windows 98 SE

Post by beta.a.brian »

If you ever tried to Google,you can find it.
winworldpc.com has it and many other versions too.
#8032forbrian came true

haroldas.velioniskis
Donator

Post by haroldas.velioniskis »

alex983 wrote:Does any one know were i can get Windows 98 Second Edition ISO

Your screenshot is fake. Both FE and SE versions had only "Windows 98" in start menu, and never "Windows 98 Second Edition"

oscareczek

Post by oscareczek »

Win7

Post by Win7 »

alex983 wrote:Does any one know were i can get Windows 98 Second Edition ISO

Besides the fake desktop, the real Windows 98 Second Edition is already on the FTP.

Just give a look at the guidelines about how to obtain FTP membership (http://www.betaarchive.com/contributions.php)! :)

Win7

BetaNewbie

Post by BetaNewbie »

It looks like XP as a matter of fact, since "Lock the Taskbar" is enabled.

sdfox7
Donator

Post by sdfox7 »

Something else that instantly stood out to me is that the system fonts don't appear to be correct for Windows 98. In this screenshot, Tahoma is the desktop font.

Windows 2000 was the first system that installed Tahoma as a "default" desktop font. Perhaps this 98SE system had its WIN.INI edited to display in Tahoma, but it isn't the 98SE default.
ThinkPad 600E, T23, T41, T61p. ASUS X555 A12 Quad Core 16GB RAM Win10/Win7
My name is Stephen Fox. I am a '18 BBA and '20 MBA student at WCSU.
Disable Google Chrome End of Support Infobar on Windows XP/Vista

haroldas.velioniskis
Donator

Post by haroldas.velioniskis »

oscareczek wrote:It's an unofficial "Service Pack": http://www.nandlstadt.com/projekte/wind ... e-pack.htm
thats because its fake screenshot, because there is not original version released by ms, but unofficial version, modded by someone

alex983

Post by alex983 »

oh i thought was real because i want to download the ISO because Druga1 (check his youtube channel) he install it on virtual-box and i want to install it on virtual-box.

Roo_the_Vickty
Permanently Banned

Post by Roo_the_Vickty »

not to mention icon of my comp is from winme

win98
Donator

Post by win98 »

alex983 wrote:oh i thought was real because i want to download the ISO because Druga1 (check his youtube channel) he install it on virtual-box and i want to install it on virtual-box.
Install normal 98 Second edition and then the unofficial service pack then. When people still used 98 that service pack was one of the easiest ways to get all of the security updates (there were like 20 - 30 for SE) installed + other tweaks to make it work better though these days its probably more a curiosity though that said there is a small community of people still using 98 as a main OS and it works well on PC's being setup as pre XP gaming machines. There are other things out there which change the look of 98 too by the way such as 98SE 2 ME and the revolutions pack.
PC Gamer and hardware plus software enthusiast (especially betas).

Okaris
Donator

Post by Okaris »

If I'm not wrong winworldpc also has VMWare versions of Windows 98SE. Just search around the site the download should be under the latest version of Windows 98.

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

alex983 wrote:oh i thought was real because i want to download the ISO because Druga1 (check his youtube channel) he install it on virtual-box and i want to install it on virtual-box.
VirtualBox isn't recommended for Windows 9x in general... Use PCem 10.1 experimental (by Battler) or VMware Workstation.
DDX — 86Box Staff/Power User & YouTube Channel Manager

Fred_PJ
Donator

Post by Fred_PJ »

DJ Deedahx wrote:VirtualBox isn't recommended for Windows 9x in general... Use PCem 10.1 experimental (by Battler) or VMware Workstation.
It really baffles me when you guys recommend PCem over others for standard (non-beta) Windows 9x releases. I mean, I'm a PCem enthusiast myself but you guys can't be serious, PCem is a moody emulator that runs Windows 9x quite slowly with choppy sound (due to being an emulator). PCem is great for running Windows 3.x, but better than VirtualBox for running Windows 9x? I don't think so, it's not quite there yet.

My personal recommendation for running standard Windows 9x is:

1 - VMware Workstation (hypervisor)
2 - VirtualBox (hypervisor)
3 - PCem (emulator)

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

Fred_PJ wrote:
DJ Deedahx wrote:VirtualBox isn't recommended for Windows 9x in general... Use PCem 10.1 experimental (by Battler) or VMware Workstation.
It really baffles me when you guys recommend PCem over others for standard (non-beta) Windows 9x releases. I mean, I'm a PCem enthusiast myself but you guys can't be serious, PCem is a moody emulator that runs Windows 9x quite slowly with choppy sound (due to being an emulator). PCem is great for running Windows 3.x, but better than VirtualBox for running Windows 9x? I don't think so, it's not quite there yet.

3 - PCem (emulator)
Have you tried the latest release of PCem exp or its latest patches? They have improved support for Win9x guests.
I still consider better an emulator than a hypervisor for running Win9x. Both VMware and VirtualBox don't offer 3D support for Win9x.

Fred_PJ
Donator

Post by Fred_PJ »

Yes, I did. It's still slow and annoyingly moody as hell. For example, want to just simply release your mouse with Ctrl+End or the middle mouse button when running Windows 9x? Good luck with that, it will only work half of the times when PCem feels like it. Want to get something from the (host) desktop and click the show desktop button (in windows 7,8,10) while running PCem in DirectX display mode? Poof, your PCem window is gone. Want to install something from DVD? Not supported. And those are just some examples.

Unless you're trying to run 3D games and applications in Windows 9x or just doing some quick tests, I do not recommend PCem for Windows 9x.

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

Fred_PJ wrote:Yes, I did. It's still slow and annoyingly moody as hell. For example, want to just simply release your mouse with Ctrl+End or the middle mouse button when running Windows 9x? Good luck with that, it will only work half of the times when PCem feels like it. Want to get something from the (host) desktop and click the show desktop button (in windows 7,8,10) while running PCem in DirectX display mode? Poof, your PCem window is gone. Want to install something from DVD? Not supported. And those are just some examples.

Unless you're trying to run 3D games and applications in Windows 9x or just doing some quick tests, I do not recommend PCem for Windows 9x.
These don't happen here. And DVD is not supposed to be supported, also that's supposed to be slow like it were in the 90s.

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

Fred_PJ wrote:It really baffles me when you guys recommend PCem over others for standard (non-beta) Windows 9x releases. I mean, I'm a PCem enthusiast myself but you guys can't be serious, PCem is a moody emulator that runs Windows 9x quite slowly with choppy sound (due to being an emulator). PCem is great for running Windows 3.x, but better than VirtualBox for running Windows 9x? I don't think so, it's not quite there yet.

3 - PCem (emulator)
Sorry, but no.

I absolutely refuse to install an operating system into a hypervisor that does not have Guest Additions for it, and Windows 9x unfortunately falls under that category.

Windows 95/98FE+SE were never able to run optimally due to having a forced crappy 640x480x16 video resolution (800x600x* if you were lucky enough), and I had to do so much tinkering to bring the OS to a somewhat optimally functional state, so to speak.

If PCem doesn't work, try VMware Workstation. Or Virtual PC 2007 for those courageous enough to stay on Windows 7.
Fred_PJ wrote:PCem is a moody emulator that runs Windows 9x quite slowly
Entirely normal, it's emulating a CPU... :|

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- Fred_PJ: And how fast do you think Windows 98 SE was on an actual Pentium? Also, what is your host PC that you have choppy sound in Windows 98 SE? Because I have an old Pentium Dual-Core and the sound is not choppy there.
And I don't think there's much software for 98/98 SE that comes on DVD, anyway.

So yeah:
1. Make sure you are not emulating a too fast CPU. A Pentium 75 is more than enough for Windows 98 SE, though if you have a more modern host PC, you should be able to emulate up to a Pentium 133 without slowdowns;
2. Make sure Dynamic Recompiler is enabled;
3. Make sure you use the correct release combination - it's Ctrl+End in mainline PCem, but F12+F8 in Experimental;
4. Do not attempt to minimize in PCem in any way, including by using the show desktop icon, or preferably, register on http://pcem-emulator.co.uk/phpBB3/ and tell SarahWalker to fix that bug - I can't do it myself because I have no idea how to.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Fred_PJ
Donator

Post by Fred_PJ »

When I say slow, I mean that the emulation is choppy when emulating Pentium processors (which is understandable). My host CPU is an AMD FX-8320.
DVD's may not be supposed to be emulated as you say, but that's how I install everything in VMware or VirtualBox, and that's how an old pc behaves if I install a DVD drive in it. We're not in the 90s anymore, I'm not too fond of having to switch disks, I install everything from DVD backups, whether it's an emulated machine or real old hardware.

Please understand that I'm not saying that PCem is bad, because it's not, it'a a really great piece of software. In my opinion it's just not that great for running Windows 9x, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone over VirtualBox and even less over VMware Workstation.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

When I say slow, I mean that the emulation is choppy when emulating Pentium processors (which is understandable). My host CPU is an AMD FX-8320.
Well it again depends on which Pentium processor you choose to emulate. Keep the emulated clock speed low enough, and it will be pretty smooth.
DVD's may not be supposed to be emulated as you say, but that's how I install everything in VMware or VirtualBox, and that's how an old pc behaves if I install a DVD drive in it. We're not in the 90s anymore, I'm not too fond of having to switch disks, I install everything from DVD backups, whether it's an emulated machine or real old hardware.
But PCem emulates 90's hardware. And DVD drives only first came out in the late 90's, so I can see why PCem doesn't emulate them. Also, you can simply create a hard disk image and put everything onto it, so keeping the ability to install everything without switching media.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Fred_PJ
Donator

Post by Fred_PJ »

Thanks anyway for the tips Battler, you're always very helpful.

Fred_PJ
Donator

Post by Fred_PJ »

I do have to add though that the driver support for Windows 9x in Virtualbox is quite horrible, so with that in mind PCem is a pretty good alternative to Virtualbox since it emulates common hardware that uses widely available drivers, not to mention the 3D hardware support.

Jackdopp

Post by Jackdopp »

I recommend WinWorldPC

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

Jackdopp wrote:I recommend WinWorldPC
Hrm, don't think it would make sense to recommend a half-dead rival on here...