Microsoft KB Archive/194469
Article ID: 194469
Article Last Modified on 7/2/2007
- Microsoft FrontPage 98 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q194469
For a Microsoft FrontPage 97 version of this article, see 170239.
When you attempt to open a FrontPage Web on a multi-homed Internet Information Server (IIS), you are repeatedly prompted to enter a valid user name and password.
This behavior occurs when the authentication response is directed to a default server rather than the requested virtual server while attempting to validate users on IIS.
Turn the default server into a virtual server. To do this, follow these steps:
- Uninstall the FrontPage Server Extensions from the default port.
The default port is 80.
- Start the Internet Service Manager.
- Double-click WWW Service.
- Click the Directories tab.
- In the "WWW Service Properties for <machine name>" dialog box, delete all _vti_* mappings which refer to the default port. (They will not have an address in the Address column.)
- Double-click the default server.
- In the Edit Properties dialog box, click to select the Virtual Server check box. In the Virtual Server IP Address box, type the IP address, and then click OK.
- Close the Internet Information Server Manager.
- Install the server extensions to the IP address which used to be the default server.
For more information about configuring FrontPage on an Internet Information Server, please see the following Microsoft Web site:
Keywords: kbprb KB194469