Microsoft KB Archive/170239
Article ID: 170239
Article Last Modified on 10/1/2001
- Microsoft FrontPage 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q170239
For a Microsoft FrontPage 98 version of this article, see 194469.
When you attempt to open a FrontPage Web on a multi-homed Internet Information Server (IIS), you are repeatedly prompted to enter a valid username and password.
This behavior occurs while attempting to validate users on IIS when the authentication response is directed to a default server rather than the requested virtual server.
Turn the default server into a virtual server. To do this, follow these steps:
- Uninstall the FrontPage Server Extensions from the default port.
The default port is 80.
- Start the Internet Service Manager.
- Double-click WWW Service.
- Click the Directories tab.
- In the "WWW Service Properties for <machine name>" dialog box, delete all _vti_* mappings that refer to the default port. (They will not have an address in the Address column.)
- Double-click the default server.
- In the Edit Properties dialog box, click to select the Virtual Server check box. In the Virtual Server IP Address box, type the IP address, and then click OK.
- Close the Internet Information Server Manager.
- Install the server extensions to the IP address that used to be the default server.
Keywords: kbprb KB170239