Microsoft KB Archive/931663
Article ID: 931663
Article Last Modified on 9/24/2007
- Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office 2003 Personal Edition
- Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Access 2003
- Microsoft Office Excel 2003
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003
- Microsoft Office Word 2003
Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
When you edit a Microsoft Excel chart or a Microsoft Graph chart in a Microsoft Office 2003 program, plot lines that contain labels disappear. This issue occurs if the following conditions are true:
- You saved the files that contain the Excel chart or the Graph chart in an earlier version of a Microsoft Office program.
- The chart has values that are displayed as plot lines that contain labels.
This problem was first fixed in a hotfix that is now contained in a service pack. If you installed the latest Office 2003 service pack, you do not have to install the hotfix.
Service pack information
This problem is corrected in Office 2003 Service Pack 3. To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
870924 How to obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003
After you install the service pack, follow the steps that are listed in the "How to enable the hotfix" section of the article to set the
QFE_Bonn registry key and to activate the hotfix.
If the issue occurs in an Excel chart, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base to resolve this issue:
811161 Data labels disappear if value is greater than axis maximum in Excel 2002 and in Excel 2003
If the issue occurs in a Graph chart, apply the hotfix that is described in this article to resolve this issue.
How to obtain the hotfix
This issue is fixed in the Office 2003 post-Service Pack 2 (KB931662) Hotfix Package that is dated January 26, 2007. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
931662 Description of the Office 2003 post-Service Pack 2 hotfix package: January 26, 2007
How to enable the hotfix
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
To enable this hotfix, follow these steps:
- Exit all Office 2003 programs.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
- After you select the subkey that is specified in step 3, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type QFE_Bonn, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click QFE_Bonn, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- On the File menu, click Exit to exit Registry Editor.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
This problem was first corrected in Office 2003 Service Pack 3.
Additional query words: office2003 office2k3 office11 off2003 off2k3 off11 access2003 access2k3 access11 acc2003 acc2k3 acc11 excel2003 excel2k3 excel11 xl2003 xl2k3 xl11 outlook2003 outlook2k3 outlook11 ol2003 ol2k3 ol11 powerpoint2003 powerpoint2k3 powerpoint11 ppt2003 ppt2k3 ppt11 word2003 word2k3 word11 wd2003 wd2k3 wd11
Keywords: kbbug kbfix kbregistry kbchart kbqfe kbpubtypekc kbexpertiseinter kbhotfixserver kboffice2003presp3fix kboffice2003sp3fix KB931663