Microsoft KB Archive/929394
Article ID: 929394
Article Last Modified on 10/25/2007
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition
You change the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) e-mail address for a group in Microsoft Exchange Server 2003. When you do this, problems may occur with the group e-mail.
This issue occurs when you make this change on the General tab in the
Group Properties page in the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in.
The problems that may occur include the following problems:
- Duplicate SMTP e-mail addresses may be created. Additionally, two users may have the same SMTP e-mail address.
- The primary e-mail address may be overwritten by the secondary e-mail address.
- You receive the following error message:
- If you change the global SMTP site address in the Microsoft Exchange Administrator program, the SMTP address of some custom recipients may not change to match the new site address.
- When you create a custom recipient and add a secondary proxy address that is the same type as the target address (SMTP, X.400, or MS), the target address field is replaced by the secondary proxy address field.
This issue occurs because the SMTP e-mail address must be changed on the E-mail Addresses tab on the
Group Properties page instead of the General tab.
To resolve this issue, change the SMTP e-mail address on the E-mail Addresses tab in the
Group Properties page.
When Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server or Exchange Server 2003 is installed in an Active Directory directory service forest, the E-Mail Addresses tab is added to the properties pages for users and for groups in the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in.
The SMTP address must be changed only by using the E-Mail Addresses tab after Exchange 2000 or Exchange 2003 is installed in the Active Directory forest. The address must not be updated or modified on the General tab.
For more information, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
283263 Creating a secondary e-mail address overwrites primary e-mail address on mail-enabled user
247476 Error when creating a mailbox for a user that already has e-mail address
184531 Custom recipient SMTP address may not change properly
157007 Secondary proxy address replaces target address of CR
Keywords: kbexpertiseinter kbtshoot KB929394