Microsoft KB Archive/255848
Article ID: 255848
Article Last Modified on 1/27/2007
- Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q255848
After you install Windows 98 Second Edition or Office 2000, Microsoft Fax may no longer work.
NOTE: To more effectively search the Microsoft Knowledge Base, use keywords that relate to your issue. If you are searching for troubleshooting information that is not mentioned in this article, search the Microsoft Knowledge Base again by using keywords that are listed in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
242450 How to Query the Microsoft Knowledge Base Using Keywords
When Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Outlook Express is installed on your computer and you install Windows 98 Second Edition or Office 2000, the Mapi32.dll file that is used by Microsoft Fax is replaced with the version of the file that is included with either Windows 98 Second Edition or Office 2000.
To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Rename the Mapi32.dll File
To rename the Mapi32.dll file that is in the Windows\System folder:
- Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
- In the Named box, type mapi32.dll.
- In the Look In box, click your local hard disk, and then click Find Now.
- In the list of found files, right-click the Mapi32.dll file that is in the Windows\System folder, click Rename, and then change the name to Mapi32.old.
NOTE: If a file named Mapi32
xxx (that is 708 KB or 709 KB in size) is in the list of found files, rename the file to Mapi32.dll. For example, if you find a file named Mapi32x.dll, rename it to Mapi32.dll.
Method 2: Reinstall Microsoft Fax
To reinstall Microsoft Fax, use one of the following methods, depending on your operating system.
- Insert the Windows 95 CD-ROM in your CD-ROM drive.
- Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Click Microsoft Fax on the Windows Setup tab, and then follow the instructions in the dialog box.
Windows 98 or Windows 98 Second Edition
- Insert the Windows 98 or Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM in your CD-ROM drive.
- Double-click the Awfax.exe file that is located in the Tools\Oldwin95\Messaging\Us folder.
Microsoft Fax uses a Mapi32.dll file that is dated no later than 4/24/98, is approximately 700 KB (or larger) in size, and it is located in the Windows\System folder. Smaller or later versions of this file may not work.
This issue may also apply to other versions of Office, Outlook, and Outlook Express.
Keywords: kbprb KB255848