Microsoft KB Archive/254259
Article ID: 254259
Article Last Modified on 9/8/2006
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition, when used with:
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q254259
When you run Outlook and start Phone Dialer, you may receive the following error message:
This problem may occur if:
- Your modem does not have the latest drivers for your operating system.
- Your modem software installed voice modem capabilities but the modem does not support that feature.
- Phone Dialer is not set to use the installed modem by default.
To resolve this problem, you must first determine if your modem is properly installed on your computer. If no modem is installed, follow the instructions that came with your modem, or contact the manufacturer of the modem for assistance.
If a modem is installed, follow these steps:
- On the Start menu, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click Phone Dialer.
- On the Edit menu, click Options, and then click the Lines tab.
- Under Preferred Line For Calling, click to select the Phone check box.
- Under Line Used For, click your modem on the Phone Calls list.
- Click the Phone and Modem Options button.
- Click the Dialing Rules tab, click My Location, and then click Edit.
- In the Edit Location dialog box, choose options based on your location and telephone system, and then click OK.
- Click the Modem tab, and make sure that your modem is listed.
- Click OK, and then click OK again.
NOTE: It may be necessary to contact your modem vendor to obtain the correct software or an updated driver for your modem.
The following is a list of additional tips for configuring phone and modem properties with Phone Dialer:
- International numbers should be entered in the following format:
+<country code> <area code> <local number>
For example, the international format for a typical U.S. phone number is:
+1 (212) 555-0112
- Make sure that the location you are dialing from is configured correctly.
Dialing instructions, such as dialing 9 for an outside line, should be specified where appropriate. Additionally, you can specify Dialing Properties if you click the Actions menu, point to Call Contact, and then click New Call.
- The automatic phone dialer does not recognize letters.
Change letters to the appropriate corresponding numbers on the keypad. If you include letters after the phone number, Phone Dialer stops dialing when it reaches the letters. For example, designating an extension on a telephone system such as "ext. 1234" causes Phone Dialer to stop.
For additional information about Phone Dialer and Outlook, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
248731 OL2000: No Call Status Dialog Box With Windows 2000 and Outlook
Additional query words: OL2K
Keywords: kbprb KB254259