Microsoft KB Archive/246862
Article ID: 246862
Article Last Modified on 3/1/2007
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
- Microsoft Metadirectory Services 2.1
This article was previously published under Q246862
This article provides detailed steps about how to install and uninstall Microsoft Metadirectory Services (MMS) on a Windows 2000 Server-based computer.
To install and uninstall Microsoft Metadirectory Services (MMS) on a Windows 2000 Server-based computer:
- Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Click Add New Programs, and then click the CD-ROM drive or the floppy disk drive to permit your computer to search for a setup executable (.exe) file.
- Under Install Program From Floppy Disk or CD-ROM, click Next.
- The Run Installation program should find the correct media and path to the Setup.exe file. If the path is correct, click Finish.
- Run the INSTALL OR UPGRADE TO ZOOMIT VIA 2.1 program from the Setup interface.
- Click Installation Drive, click A NEW INSTALLATION, and then click YES when you receive the Zoomit VIA license agreement.
- Read the information regarding Context Prefix to understand the structure you will create, and then click Next.
- In the "assign a context prefix to your organization" area, fill in the appropriate boxes to define your context prefix that will serve as the root of your organization.
- Confirm your MMS server name in the Enter your server's Metadirectory application name box. Note that it should be populated automatically with the name of the server you are using.
- Click Next. It is recommended that you position your server under the Applications OU, but you can choose another. The box is populated with "OU=Applications." Confirm it or change it, and then click Next.
- Click Preview Names, note the assigned names, and then click OK. VIA server will copy installation files.
- Click Setup Service. A command box will open and the service will be set up.
- Note the logon information, administrator account and password when the installation is complete. This will specify how to log on to the MMS.
IMPORTANT: Because the password is automatically generated based on your server name, it is important to remember to change your administrator password immediately.
- Click Next, click Done, and then quit the Add/Remove Programs tool. The product is installed.
After installing, you must change the administrator password:
250888 How to change the Administrator Password in Microsoft Metadirectory Services
For information about how to uninstall MMS, see the following article:
246392 How to Uninstall Microsoft Metadirectory Services
Keywords: kbhowto kbsetup KB246862