Microsoft KB Archive/170871
Article ID: 170871
Article Last Modified on 9/10/1999
- Microsoft Internet Explorer Administration Kit 3.2
This article was previously published under Q170871
When you start Internet News on a Windows 95 or Windows NT 4.0 computer after installing it from a Microsoft Internet Explorer Administration Kit 3.2 created package, you may receive the following error message:
This error message occurs when Internet Mail is installed without Internet News. The version of Internet Mail and News that is contained in Internet Explorer Administration Kit 3.2 does not install the file Wab32.dll in the Windows\System subdirectory if Internet Mail is not included with Internet News.
Although this file may already exist in the System subdirectory, it may be an incorrect version, which can also cause the error message. For more information on problems with mismatched Internet Mail and News files, see article 161639, "Error Message: Unable to Start Application" in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.
To resolve this issue, use either of the following methods:
- Install the updated version of Internet Mail and News 1.0. The updated version handles the install of Internet News without Mail and includes all of the necessary files to run Mail. For information about obtaining the updated version of Internet Mail and News 1.0 for Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
154457 Availability of Microsoft Internet Mail and News
- To include the updated Internet Mail and News in Internet Explorer Administration Kit 3.2, perform the following steps:
- Obtain the updated Mailnews.exe from Microsoft. (See 154457, "Availability of Microsoft Internet Mail and News," in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.)
- Locate the Optional folder in the directory you installed IEAK in. For example, if IEAK is installed in the C:\Ieak folder, type the following command at an MS-DOS prompt:
- Rename the existing Mailnews.exe to Mailnews.old
- Copy the updated Mailnews.exe to this directory.
NOTE: If you have the CD-ROM version of Internet Explorer Administration Kit, the contents of the CD will need to be copied to the hard disk drive so that this file can be updated and Internet Explorer Administration Kit should be run from the hard disk drive from that point.
- Run the Internet Explorer Administration Kit Wizard and install Internet Mail only.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Internet Explorer Administration Kit version 3.2. This problem was corrected in Internet Explorer Administration Kit version 3.2a
Keywords: kbbug KB170871