"Shared Documents" virtual folder for Windows Vista

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Maza

"Shared Documents" virtual folder for Windows Vista

Post by Maza »

Yesterday an HD version of the "Longhorn" PDC 2003 demonstration by Hillel Cooperman was shared.
Cooperman displayed a "Shared Documents" window during the demonstration that aggregated and displayed all documents shared with what was apparently the current user:

I wrote in a reply that this concept—this "dynamically generated view"—is actually possible with Windows Vista. Here is to what I alluded:

However, it makes no sense to just write such a thought without illustrating it and sharing it with you. The following virtual folder view will aggregate and display all indexed documents—excluding those owned by the current user—that are shared with the current user.

Download: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 5850367862
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

Maza

Re: "Shared Documents" virtual folder for Windows Vista

Post by Maza »

I updated the original post with the updated virtual folder that always displays the File Extension column, as per the "Longhorn" screenshot (it makes no sense to filter by Type in a virtual folder that displays only documents).

If preferred, it is also possible to construct a query that returns all shared items (documents or otherwise) with which users can then filter by a) the user with whom the items are shared and/or b) the owner of the items.
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

oldcollector

Re: "Shared Documents" virtual folder for Windows Vista

Post by oldcollector »

Interesting... I never thought that way of viewing shared documents was possible on Vista. And it looks cool btw. Congrats!