Windows Longhorn PDC 2003 AERO Demo in HD!

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
ReflectiaX

Windows Longhorn PDC 2003 AERO Demo in HD!

Post by ReflectiaX »

Enjoy, everyone! ^^

Visit BetaCollector.com for rare and unique beta-related content!

Windows OS

Re: Windows Longhorn PDC 2003 AERO Demo in HD!

Post by Windows OS »

Wow. That has to be one of the most beautiful Longhorn concepts found so far. Nice find.
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

Maza

Post by Maza »

I see "Shared Documents" in the thumbnail and I am grateful that a shared with me concept— this "dynamically generated view"—is actually possible with Windows Vista.
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

Magirus - Deutz

Post by Magirus - Deutz »

60 FPS. I guess this is the best quality leak for Windows Longhorn.
The weird man.

The legendary OS is your favorite OS.

Valerio

Post by Valerio »

Wow, this is incredible, thank you for letting us know! Wish there could be an HD footage of PDC '03 tho, when they were showing build 4050. That'd be awesome too.

ReflectiaX

Post by ReflectiaX »

Here's another new video for you all to enjoy! This was the "Project Green" vision as prototyped in the version of Longhorn demonstrated in Hillel Cooperman's PDC 2003 AERO presentation. For more on "Project Green", click here.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

I always wondered how they were planning on integrating office into the shell...
HTML or .net explorer component that would interface with the office code?
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

Maza

Post by Maza »

I am more concerned with the virtual folder views that are demonstrated. This is the most interesting detail and the rest is just extra credit.

Otherwise it does not show anything that was not already revealed elsewhere.

I am still grateful, of course!

ReflectiaX

Post by ReflectiaX »

Here's perhaps the ultimate look at the Longhorn ecosystem in the usability/theme style of Hillel Cooperman's PDC 2003 Longhorn AERO demo:

Maza

Post by Maza »

Oh my gosh... I've read about this in patents before, even post-reset ones, sharing a dynamic list (also referred to as a virtual folder) that would automatically share any new referenced item(s) with the user(s) with whom the list was shared. I really wish that this were available today. No excuses.

Nevertheless, it is nice to see the same fundamental interface for sharing in Windows Vista.

You have our gratitude!

ReflectiaX

Post by ReflectiaX »

Glad you enjoy it all! It's really cool to look back at this vision of Windows. It's actually just one of many they've had floating around since the start of Neptune (yes, Neptune). It was looking at one point like they'd essentially settled on this particular iteration of AERO after an initial 3-4 were heavily prototyped and demonstrated to executive management, but, well, we know how that all panned out. Either way, lots of ideation and exploration with things like that File Sharing bit you're interested in, persisted. =)

Maza

Post by Maza »

ReflectiaX wrote:Glad you enjoy it all!
Thank you! I do not think many or any would ever have been able to see it without you having shared it!
ReflectiaX wrote:It's really cool to look back at this vision of Windows.

Is there anything that personally interests you about it more than other things? Is there a feature or scenario in which you are most interested?
ReflectiaX wrote:It's actually just one of many they've had floating around since the start of Neptune (yes, Neptune).
If memory serves activity centers and parental controls were envisaged for Neptune. I think some of that other than parental controls (which was obviously included) was part of "Longhorn"? I've not looked in a long time.
ReflectiaX wrote:we know how that all panned out.
It is such a shame.
ReflectiaX wrote:Either way, lots of ideation and exploration with things like that File Sharing bit you're interested in, persisted. =)
I do not understand why the automatic sharing could not have been implemented. Even in Windows Vista Beta one could write metadata properties to items referenced in a static list, even though the static list did not actually reference the physical locations of the items on disk. Just a thought.

ReflectiaX

Post by ReflectiaX »

Maza wrote:Is there anything that personally interests you about it more than other things? Is there a feature or scenario in which you are most interested?
I'm still enchanted by it the same way I was when I saw this stuff back in 2003/2004. I think of it all in that context, so it was all very exciting and paradigm-shifting (even if somewhat gaudy and not fully realized). The live desktop tiles with notifications were a really cool idea to me (what you see going on at 2:47 in the video directly above, which demonstrates not just LH, but also a glimpse of what was continuing to move toward a connected household). They showed that 3D circling animation in a different context in the PDC 2003 "Geeks Bearing Gifts" video (click here; it's at 1:35). Anyway, there's a lot of stuff I really love the idea of from this timeframe.
Maza wrote:If memory serves activity centers and parental controls were envisaged for Neptune. I think some of that other than parental controls (which was obviously included) was part of "Longhorn"? I've not looked in a long time.
It would blow your mind to know how much actually went on with prototyping during Neptune. Between what we see in 5111 and whatever else trickled out via bloggers/news sites back then, that represents such an insanely limited scope of everything that was researched, designed, documented, mocked up, etc. Maybe some of that stuff can be made public at some point, but they did some really magical and forward-thinking stuff during that time frame, which carried right on through into Longhorn.

dejco

Post by dejco »

Wait, what? I must be dreaming.
It is always amazing to see HD release of vga size videos.

Splitwirez

Post by Splitwirez »

dejco wrote:Wait, what? I must be dreaming.
You and me both.
I don't even know where to start, what to try to recreate first...
Offtopic Comment
Speaking of recreating this stuff, I wanted to talk to you about the menu at some point...

dejco

Post by dejco »

Splitwirez wrote:
dejco wrote:Wait, what? I must be dreaming.
Offtopic Comment
Speaking of recreating this stuff, I wanted to talk to you about the menu at some point...
Me too.

Click

/ontopic for offtipic

Kimberly5384

Post by Kimberly5384 »

i think it's amazing we have these concept videos, and at such high res, too. Great job, dude.
Legends say if you read this signature, you'll come across good fortune. Lucky you!

Maza

Post by Maza »

ReflectiaX wrote:I'm still enchanted by it the same way I was when I saw this stuff back in 2003/2004. I think of it all in that context, so it was all very exciting and paradigm-shifting (even if somewhat gaudy and not fully realized). The live desktop tiles with notifications were a really cool idea to me (what you see going on at 2:47 in the video directly above, which demonstrates not just LH, but also a glimpse of what was continuing to move toward a connected household). They showed that 3D circling animation in a different context in the PDC 2003 "Geeks Bearing Gifts" video (click here; it's at 1:35). Anyway, there's a lot of stuff I really love the idea of from this timeframe.
Thank you for responding and for the in-depth response. I was not sure I would receive an answer.
ReflectiaX wrote:It would blow your mind to know how much actually went on with prototyping during Neptune. Between what we see in 5111 and whatever else trickled out via bloggers/news sites back then, that represents such an insanely limited scope of everything that was researched, designed, documented, mocked up, etc. Maybe some of that stuff can be made public at some point, but they did some really magical and forward-thinking stuff during that time frame, which carried right on through into Longhorn.
I must admit I am more interested in features in the context of the Search and Organize vision, as well as that platform produced by the grey incarnate of Satan. If the former was not conceptualized for "Neptune" there may not be interest in anything else.

I did like that some of the designs/concepts of "Neptune" made their way to Windows 8.x if the information that is released is of any indication.

RabidSnake

Post by RabidSnake »

Do you haappen to know what version or build it is? im interested in it

LuLu
Permanently Banned

Post by LuLu »

its not a build
its macromedia director demo (flash demo), in which they did UI tests

dj_cityboy

Post by dj_cityboy »

ugh sorry for the bump - wow I guess I missed this when it was posted, just watching these now, totally amazing and in HD quality - and not just 1 video either sweet!!,

thankz ReflectiaX

any possibility of being able to download these?

peas
dj_cityboy