[REQUEST] *Bootable* windows 95 iso

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
startmenuisgone

[REQUEST] *Bootable* windows 95 iso

Post by startmenuisgone »

Ive downloaded a couple windows 95 isos from the FTP, none of them are bootable. I need them for a virtual machine to run classic programs that refuse to run on my PC.

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by startmenuisgone on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Please be aware that someone else is using the name "startmenuisgone" on other sites and it is NOT me. I am only registered with that name here and on assembler games. The other accounts are fraud!

tjn

Re: [REQUEST] *Bootable* windows 95 iso

Post by tjn »

Tested on Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 with Service Pack 1,worked fine.
Here is what you are looking for:
http://www.allbootdisks.com/downloads/D ... ows95a.img
Last edited by tjn on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

Ever heard of a bootdisk?

tjn

Post by tjn »

DeFacto wrote:Ever heard of a bootdisk?
Yes,DeFacto,I am already know this site hosts boot disks
for Various Microsoft Operating Systems.

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

I don't believe Windows 95 discs were bootable, at least none of mine are...
Just download a bootdisk from bootdisks.com then extract it with WinRAR if you need the raw .ima file

EDIT: Whoops, just tested it and apparently 95B is bootable
Last edited by Bender on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

Bender wrote:I don't believe Windows 95 discs were bootable, at least none of mine are...
Just download a bootdisk from bootdisks.com then extract it with WinRAR if you need the raw .ima file
the OEM versions of Windows 9x were indeed bootable (this includes Win95)

Phenom II

Post by Phenom II »

I don't know how Windows ever caught on lol

Installed 95 in VMware just now and got missing file errors before even reaching the desktop

Tried to install VMWare Tools and it won't even run setup
"The people who know, won't say, and the people who say, don't know."

john11
Donator

Post by john11 »

Phenom II wrote:I don't know how Windows ever caught on lol

Installed 95 in VMware just now and got missing file errors before even reaching the desktop

Try Microsoft Virtual PC 2007.

Phenom II

Post by Phenom II »

john11 wrote:
Phenom II wrote:I don't know how Windows ever caught on lol

Try Microsoft Virtual PC 2007.
Cheers, but it was just for fun, I'm not bothered really about getting it installed properly

MSPlus

Post by MSPlus »

tjn wrote:Tested on Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 with Service Pack 1,worked fine.
Here is what you are looking for:
http://wdl3.winworldpc.com/Abandonware% ... %20(CD).7z
This ISO is not authentic, files dated 20 June 2003 and bootable part is self-made. I suppose most of this 2003 year ISOs which can be found on net was made from "All Windows DVD" release by XiSO team. It have a really impressive list of full Windows distributives but all files dated by Jule 2003 (I suppose that there was another version of this DVD from June 2003 too).

ImageImage

And as far as I know no one of Windows 95 CDs was not bootable since BIOSes of those time simply not supported CD Boot feature. Although I'm sure that at least 95 Retail should be delivered with a bootable floppy disk, otherwise how else to install it on the new PC? And I, like the topicstarter, don't lose hope to find such floppy disk. Does anyone have it?
Offtopic Comment
To moderators: I am sorry for S/N in pictures, but next time don't delete whole post if some part of it rule-infringing, have consciences... :(
Offtopic Comment
And replace smiles, they grotty. (@) (<- or tell me just what is it? :cry: and this? ->) <:o)

MSPlus

Post by MSPlus »

I was right about bootable floppy, look this:

Windows 95 Upgrade Retail package with FDD and manual

So it necessary to reupload all 95 archives on BA (ok, not all, but at least Retail and SP1) since it, as it turns out, incomplete...

And who have such original floppy, upload it please, cause it's impossible to find it anywhere. :(

Chartreuse

Post by Chartreuse »

I'll have to check but I could have sworn one of my copies of Win 95 booted from CD. Though the typical way I'd install would be to boot up the Windows 95 boot floppy (it's the same one as the floppy set) which loads up the CDROM drivers, and you simply change over to the CD drive and run setup. Since you are trying to run this in a Virtual Machine this would probably be the simplest way rather than looking for an uncommon or 3rd party bootable CD. The disks are quite common to find on BootDisk sites.

mycomputerhelp

Post by mycomputerhelp »

MSPlus wrote:I was right about bootable floppy, look this:

Windows 95 Upgrade Retail package with FDD and manual
*snip*

So it necessary to reupload all 95 archives on BA (ok, not all, but at least Retail and SP1) since it, as it turns out, incomplete...

And who have such original floppy, upload it please, cause it's impossible to find it anywhere. :(
There is no need to repackage and reupload with the bootdisk included, when you can simply get one from http://www.allbootdisks.com/ or find one on the FTP.

MSPlus

Post by MSPlus »

Chartreuse wrote:Though the typical way I'd install would be to boot up the Windows 95 boot floppy (it's the same one as the floppy set)
Really the same? You probably know that means "authencity" for true collectors. So in this sense would like to get genuine copy of this boot floppy from official CD package. Disks from floppy packages can suit only for particular installations, but not for collection purposes. And to find such boot disks for just installation it's actually not problem at all...
mycomputerhelp wrote:There is no need to repackage and reupload with the bootdisk included, when you can simply get one from http://www.allbootdisks.com/ or find one on the FTP.
Look above. ;)

Seems OEM releases of Windows 95 also was distributed with boot floppy:

And that is how looks these boot disks:

ImageImage

Note the word "CD-ROM" on the sticker, so Floppy Boot Disk and CD-ROM Boot Disk are different boot disks...
Last edited by MSPlus on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cantasan99

Post by cantasan99 »

http://wdl2.winworldpc.com/Abandonware% ... dows%2095/

Use it. This directory has all Windows 95 versions.

Turkish translator of Wine/Known as ctasan in ReactOS Forum
ReactOS Community Changelogs - Don't miss improvements!

MSPlus

Post by MSPlus »

cantasan99 wrote:Use it. This directory has all Windows 95 versions.
Who are need your link?

Phenom II

Post by Phenom II »

What's the difference between 4.10.1111.ors2, 4.03.1216.osr2.5 and 4.00.950

Which is the newest / most updated ?

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

1216, as it's OSR 2.5...

Rezachkata
Donator

Post by Rezachkata »

whats so hard in installing ms dos 6 then installing windows 95 via floppy disks?

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

El-torito as a standard did not come in until 1995, and it would have taken vendors about a year or so to modify their systems. You don't start seeing bootable cdroms until 1996. (Win98, WinNT4). The two examples of OS/R2 in my collection are not bootable.

One might see that Microsoft learnt from Windows NT4 to put a 'press any key to boot from the CD'. I recall having been called to the museum to fix a computer that accidently booted into Windows NT4 boot, and cheerly installed itself over the existing system.

Win98, Win2k and later have variously JO.SYS and FIXBOOT.BIN, which both serve to create this message. These work under 3.51 and 4.0
Last edited by os2fan2 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

MSPlus

Post by MSPlus »

os2fan2 wrote:El-torito as a standard did not come in until 1995, and it would have taken vendors about a year or so to modify their systems.
Yes, that's clear, main problem was in lack of El Torito support in systems of those days, but there was another problem related to bootable floppy with cd-rom support. As far as I know at that time there was no universal cd-rom drivers and every such boot floppy disk was intended for a limited number of systems. For OEM editions of Windows 95 it was not problem as each OEM release was intended strictly for certain equipment, but how about Windows 95 Retail edition? It also was coming with boot floppy disk and nobody was preparing it for particular systems. How was supposed to clients use it?

Also I've found image of OSR 2.x boot floppy. It was included in Windows 95 OEM Pre-installation Kit (file WIN95_OPKIE.ISO) and located in folder LANG\ENG\CDSTART under name BOOTDISK.IMG, but os2fan2 will confirm that w/o little modification it's useless as it lacks CD-ROM driver which should to be added manually. Here is detailed instruction how to do it. Ready boot disks mentioned at this page can be downloaded from here. And here you can get some CD-ROM drivers if you will need, although probably better to use universal driver D011V200.SYS from Oak Technology, Inc., mentioned here.
Phenom II wrote:What's the difference between 4.10.1111.ors2, 4.03.1216.osr2.5 and 4.00.950
The answers are in Wikipedia.
Last edited by MSPlus on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VincentVegas

I remember when...

Post by VincentVegas »

I remember when we started selling PCs from Packard Bell in our stores with Win95 on them. They came with an install/restore CD but with a floppy boot disk without CD rom drivers or rather they were not automatically activated! So no customer was able to use the CDs. I could not believe how stupid the ppl at Packard Bell were to make such a mistake. After a few weeks the first customers came back asking us how they should use the CD disk.

It was then when I created a floppy boot disk with all the common CD drivers on them (3 or 4 at that time). I loaded all drivers one after another until one loaded without an error. Then I switched to the CD rom drive and voila. I gave one disk to every old and new byer of a Packard Bell and kept my company from having real problems with their customers. The "funny" thing is: After some months I was called to my boss because of "stealing" floppy disks. Each one was worth around 10cent and I told them exactly what I did, but their almost fired me. :OD After that I stopped doing good things for the company. :(

BoyLoveGirl
Donator

Post by BoyLoveGirl »

Windows 95 doesn't have any bootable.Bootable in Windows 98 or higher.
But Windows 95 C and Windows 98 FE have floppy edition.

yntzl
Donator

Post by yntzl »

I have an iso of Windows 95 and 98 that I made it bootable. You can make your iso bootable using Nero Burning ROM and a image from one of these floppys that came with the instalation CD. There is several tutorials on the net on how to make a bootable Windows 9x CD. Google is your friend.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

You can make Windows 95 or even MS-DOS bootable. But that is because these rely on the Eltorito boot emulation mode. which means post 1995 technology. Even Windows NT, they were running around with floppies.

I even seen OEM disks where MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 were distributed on cdrom. I used one back in 1995 when i was mastering my first cdrom. But you still have to stick a floppy into drive A, which loads the cdrom drivers which then allows you to install DOS, Windows etc off the cdrom.

Yes, i made a generic Win95/98SE/ME disk, largely so that you can install Win98SE and then either run 98lite over it, or run 98toME on it, without changing things. It is basically a reduction of these diskettes, with lots of the junk pulled, and other junk (like the power toys and assorted fixes), installed. But most of the directories were kept in place, because that's how 98lite and 98toME expect to find these things.

It even has copies of Windows 3.11, Wfw 3.11, and DOS 6.22, along with the necessary INF to install DOS 6.22 onto a win98 machine (modified to install the supplemental disks also). Windoze 3.11 (K7654) isn't really appreciated as an upgrade source.

You can put a custom boot diskette in there, and run any of the three setups directly from MS-DOS 7.10.2400 (which is what I use in the setup diskette). You can run a full-blown DOS from it too. But i never got around to writing an INF to install 2400 over an existing MS-DOS.