|Version of Microsoft Windows|
|Microsoft Windows version 2|
|Replaced by||Windows 3.x|
Microsoft Windows version 2 was the second version of Windows released for PCs and compatibles by Microsoft. This was the first version of Windows to provide support for overlapping windows.
There were some applications that shipped with Windows 2.0. They are:
- Calculator (CALC.EXE) – Microsoft Windows Calculator application
- Calendar (CALENDAR.EXE) – Microsoft Windows Calendar application
- Cardfile (CARDFILE.EXE) – Microsoft Windows Cardfile application
- ClipBook Viewer (CLIPBRD.EXE) – Used for viewing the contents of the Windows clipboard
- Clock (CLOCK.EXE) – Microsoft Windows Clock 
- Control Panel (CONTROL.EXE) – Used for configuring Microsoft Windows, managing installed printers, and changing system settings
- CVTPAINT.EXE - Converts files created in Microsoft Paint for Windows 1.0. Required for viewing files under Microsoft Paint for Windows version 2.
- MS DOS Executive – Used for managing files and executing programs 
- Notepad (NOTEPAD.EXE) – Uesd for editing simple MS-DOS text (.TXT) files 
- Paint (PAINT.EXE) – Microsoft Windows Paint 
- PIF Editor (PIFEDIT.EXE) – Used for changing settings for specific MS-DOS applications
- Reversi (REVERSI.EXE) – Microsoft Windows Reversi 
- SPOOLER.EXE – The Microsoft Windows print spooler, required for managing and maintains a queue of documents to be printed, sending them to the printer as soon as the printer is ready
- Terminal (TERMINAL.EXE) – Microsoft Windows Terminal 
- Write (write.exe) – Microsoft Windows Write 
As with Microsoft Windows 1.0, Microsoft Windows version 2 also included the Control Panel for changing system settings.
Support for new video adapters
New features in Windows 2.0 included support for VGA graphics (first introduced with the IBM PS/2 series of machines) in 640x480, 16 color mode.
Changes in MS-DOS application support
One major change from previous versions of Windows was support for the multitasking and virtual memory features of the Intel 80386 CPU, which was found in an increasing number of machines, most notably the Compaq 386 and compatibles, as well as many models of the IBM PS/2. Previously, MS-DOS applications could only be multitasked cooperatively, though Windows applications were still restricted to cooperative multitasking.
Note that this was only available under Windows/386 - other versions of Windows were not able to take advantage of the advanced features of the 80386 processor.
The first Windows versions of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word were designed for Windows version 2. Third-party developer support for Windows increased substantially with this version with many shipping the Windows Runtime software with their applications, including the same Windows versions of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word mentioned above.
Due to changes in the memory model to allow for protected mode support in Microsoft Windows 3.0, applications designed for Microsoft Windows 2.1 or previous versions of Windows may not run correctly without modification, and will display an application compatibility warning message if the executable has not been specifically marked for compatibility with Windows 3.0.
Examples of Microsoft Windows version 2 applications that were officially tested and supported under Microsoft Windows 3.0 are Microsoft Excel (as of version 2.1c) and Microsoft Word.
Expanded Memory (EMS) Support
Expanded memory (EMS) is now supported by Microsoft Windows.
Legal dispute with Apple
On March 17th, 1988, Apple filed a lawsuit against Microsoft and Hewlett Packard(HP), accusing them of violating copyrights Apple held on the Macintosh System Software. Apple claimed the look and feel of the Macintosh operating system, taken as a whole, was protected by copyright and that Windows 2.0 violated this copyright by having the same icons. The judge ruled in favor of Hewlett-Packard and Microsoft in all but ten of the 189 patents that Apple sued for. The exclusive ten could not be copyrighted, as ruled by the judge.
- Windows 2.00 (Beta 1) ✔
- Windows/386 2.01 (Compaq OEM) ✔
- Windows 2.03 and Microsoft Windows/386 2.03 (Retail) ✔
- Windows 2.03 (Amstrad OEM) ✔
- Windows 2.03 (Ericsson OEM) ✔
- Windows 2.03 (Tandon OEM) ✔
- Windows 2.03 (Wang OEM) ✔
- Windows/286 2.1 and Microsoft Windows/386 2.1 (Retail) ✔
- Windows 2.10 (Amstrad OEM) ✔
- Windows/286 2.11 and Microsoft Windows/386 2.11 (Retail) ✔