Microsoft KB Archive/929360
Article ID: 929360
Article Last Modified on 11/9/2007
- Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
You connect to a document library in a Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 site or in a Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 site by using Windows Internet Explorer 7 or Microsoft Internet Explorer 6. However, when you try to open a Microsoft Office document, Internet Explorer crashes (stops responding). Additionally, when you click New Document, the button does not work. You cannot create a new document. This problem occurs if the following conditions are true, in the order in which they are presented:
- You install a Microsoft Office 2003 product on the computer.
- You install one or more 2007 Office system programs on the computer.
- You repair or update the installation of an Office 2003 product.
This problem occurs because the older version of the
FileName.dll file becomes the registered version. When the Owssupp.dll file is used, it tries to use functionality that is not available. This condition causes Internet Explorer to crash (stop responding).
To resolve this problem, install hotfix 938888. For more information about hotfix 938888, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
938888 Description of the 2007 Office hotfix package: June 17, 2007
To work around this problem, repair the 2007 Office system. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
- In the Add or Remove Programs dialog box, select Microsoft Office
version2007, and then click Change.
Note In this case,
version indicates the installed version of the 2007 Office system.
- In the Microsoft Office
version2007 dialog box, click Repair, and then click Continue.
- Click Close when the repair process is complete.
The controls that enable features, such as the Edit Document feature on a Windows SharePoint Services document library, are shipped together with 2007 Office systems and Office 2003. These controls must be installed to access most of the integration features in Office.
These controls are listed as Windows SharePoint Services Support under Office Tools when you use one of the following methods:
- You perform a custom installation of a 2007 Office system or of an Office 2003 system.
- You add or remove Office programs or features by using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Additional query words: WSSv3
Keywords: kbtshoot kbprb kbexpertiseinter KB929360