Microsoft KB Archive/253682
Article ID: 253682
Article Last Modified on 1/27/2007
- Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
This article was previously published under Q253682
This article describes how to change the default location of the My Documents folder.
The My Documents icon on the desktop points to the location of the default file store. By default, this is the C:\My Documents folder (or its equivalent if you are using user profiles on your computer).
To change the default file store location:
- Right-click the My Documents icon on the desktop, and then click Properties.
- In the Target box, type the path to the appropriate folder, and then click OK (for example, D:\Documents\My Stuff). If the folder does not exist, the Create Folder dialog box is displayed. If necessary, click Yes to create the folder.
- In the Move Documents dialog box, click Yes to move your documents to the new location, or click No to leave your documents in the original location.
To remove the My Documents icon from the desktop:
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Folder Options.
- On the View tab, click to clear the Show My Documents on the Desktop check box, and then click OK.
NOTE: Removing the desktop icon does not remove the files stored in the folder to which the icon points.
Keywords: kbfaq kbhowto kbprod2web kbui KB253682