Microsoft KB Archive/238144
Article ID: 238144
Article Last Modified on 10/27/2006
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack 1
This article was previously published under Q238144
If you have a space or other invalid character at the end of the path statement in the Autoexec.bat file when you install the SMS Client, the installation makes the path statement invalid.
This issue occurs because the SMS Client installation does not check the Autoexec.bat file for spaces or other invalid characters at the end of the path statement and appends the following text to the end of the path statement:
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Systems Management Server version 2.0. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
236325 How to Obtain the Latest Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack
To work around this issue, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- Type sysedit, and then click OK.
- Edit the Autoexec.bat file and verify no spaces exist at the end of the path statement by placing the cursor after the last valid character of the path statement, and then pressing ENTER.
- When you are finished, save the file and close System Editor.
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click the Systems Management icon.
- On the Components tab, click Windows Management, and then click Repair Installation. This causes SMS to reinstall the Windows Management portion of the SMS Client installation.
NOTE: This issue is only known to occur on Windows 95/98 clients.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in Systems Management Serverversion 2.0 and 2.0 Service Pack 1. This problem was first corrected in Systems Management Server version 2.0 Service Pack 2.
To install the hotfix, follow these steps on each Systems Management Server 2.0 and 2.0 Service Pack 1 site server :
- Stop the SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER and SMS_EXECUTIVE site services.
- Copy the updated Wbemsdk.exe file to the site server's SMS\Bin\
- Copy the updated Wbemsdk.exe file to the site server's SMS\Inboxes\Clicomp.src\Wbem\
- Copy the updated Compver.ini file to the site server's SMS\Inboxes\Clicomp.src\Wbem folder.
- Start the SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MAANGER and SMS_EXECUTIVE services.
After the SMS Inbox Manager component updates the Client Access Points (CAP), the clients can gain access to the updated files. The default Client Configuration Installation Manager (CCIM) polling interval is 23 hours. Therefore, it may take up to 23 hours for the hotfix files to be propagated to the clients. To speed up this process, you can stop and restart the SMS Client service on each client. You can also create a software distribution for one of the Resource Kit tools (Setevnt.exe or Cliutils.exe), along with the appropriate parameter(s) to start a CCIM work cycle. For information about the proper syntax to use with these tools, see the Resource Kit documentation.
Additional query words: prodsms wbem management autoexec.bat path statement
Keywords: kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbbug kbfix kbsetup kbsms200sp2fix KB238144