Microsoft KB Archive/238085
Article ID: 238085
Article Last Modified on 2/27/2007
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
This article was previously published under Q238085
Microsoft Windows 2000 installation does not install a Messaging Application Interface (MAPI) 1.0-based subsystem. There is also no direct way to install a MAPI 1.0 -based subsystem as an optional component using the operating system installation CD-ROM.
Applications written to the MAPI 1.0 specification may work correctly on Windows 2000 only if the MAPI 1.0 subsystem is completely and correctly installed. Currently, there are two supported methods to correctly install the MAPI 1.0 subsystem produced by Microsoft. You can either:
- Upgrade from Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 (Workstation or Server) with MAPI 1.0 already installed. or
- Install an application that contains a MAPI 1.0-based subsystem, such as Microsoft Exchange Client or Microsoft Outlook.
The following messaging technologies rely on the presence of an e-mail subsystem based on the MAPI 1.0 specification:
- Collaboration Data Objects
- Active Messaging
- OLE Messaging
Applications that use these technologies may not work correctly unless one of the installation options described previously has been correctly performed.
For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
254458 Windows 2000 Support for Windows Messaging
Keywords: kbinfo KB238085