Microsoft KB Archive/175033
BUG: WritePrivateProfileString Requires Delete Access on INI
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Win32 Application Programming Interface (API), used with:
- the operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
WritePrivateProfileString() fails to update the target INI file when the user's permissions on the file do not include "Delete" access. GetLastError() returns ACCESS_DENIED.
WritePrivateProfileString() invariably requests "Delete" access when attempting to open the INI file.
There are no workarounds short of taking direct control of the file I/O.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- Set access for the subdirectory containing the .INI file to (RWX)(RW).
- Make certain that access on the .INI file is set to (RW). NOTE: You will not be able to delete the file.
- Attempts to write to the .INI file with WriteProfileString() will fail.
- Set access to the .INI file to (RWD).
- WritePrivateProfileString() succeeds.
Additional query words:
Keywords : kbOSWinNT400bug kbSysSettings
Issue type : kbbug
Technology : kbAudDeveloper kbWin32sSearch kbWin32API
Last Reviewed: October 20, 2000