Microsoft KB Archive/173052
Article ID: 173052
Article Last Modified on 1/20/2007
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q173052
In Microsoft Word 97, when you paste grouped items, including a chart object created in Microsoft Excel 97, the chart is missing.
To work around this problem, in Excel, select and copy the chart and the other items (a text box in this example) without grouping them. Then paste the objects into Word and group them there. To do this, follow these steps:
- In Excel, select the text box, and then press and hold down the SHIFT key and select the chart.
Both objects should be selected.
- On the Edit menu, click Copy.
- In Word, click Paste on the Edit menu.
- Right-click the selected objects, point to Grouping, and then click Group.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article.
This problem has been corrected in Word 2000.
- The image of the chart appears on the clipboard and is pasted into both Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- This symptom occurs with any object grouped with a chart; however, when you group any objects other than a chart, pasting works as expected.
For additional information about Excel chart problems in Word, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
157638 WD97: Microsoft Excel 97 Chart Object Becomes Picture Converting to Word 7.0
Additional query words: 8.0 8.00
Keywords: kbbug kbinfo KB173052