Microsoft KB Archive/172873
Article ID: 172873
Article Last Modified on 10/27/2006
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 1.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q172873
If you have selected multiple languages during Systems Management Server Installer Setup, installation error messages are displayed in French rather than the locale specified. The languages affected include Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Norwegian, Portuguese, and Swedish.
German, Spanish, Italian, English, and French have correctly translated messages.
To work around this problem, use the following procedure to manually edit Installer messages for the affected languages:
- On the Edit menu, click Installer Messages.
- From the Language Name list box, select the appropriate language.
- In the Messages list, select the first message. Note that the corresponding message text appears to the right.
- Edit the Message Text field to reflect the correct translation for the specified language.
- Repeat step 4 for each message.
After you complete this procedure, this information is saved in the Smsinstl.ini file located in the Windows or Winnt directory. You should save the appropriate sections as a template so that you do not need to repeat this procedure if Systems Management Server Installer is reinstalled or installed on additional reference computers. To save it as a template, perform the following steps:
- Locate the Smsinstl.ini file in the %SYSTEMROOT% directory (that is, the Winnt directory on computers running Windows NT Systems or the Windows directory on computers running Windows 95 or Windows 3.x).
- Back up the Smsinstl.ini file to a safe place.
- Open the backup version of the file in a text editor such as Notepad.
- Note the sections labeled [Languagex]. Each section contains the Installer messages for that specific locale.
- If the Installer is installed again, the sections for the affected languages could be cut from this backup and pasted into the new Smsinst.ini file.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Systems Management Server Installer 1.0. We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
Additional query words: prodsms smsinst multiple
Keywords: kbbug kbenv kbsetup KB172873