Microsoft KB Archive/170950
Article ID: 170950
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q170950
Network connectivity to a computer using the Compaq NetFlex-3 network card is intermittently lost and then restored every few minutes without having to restart the system.
Depending on the application, the client or application may have to be restarted to restore the connection. If the application has open files on the server, data may be lost.
Some applications report the lost connections. Others applications may seem to stop responding (hang) for several minutes before continuing.
On a Compaq computer running Windows NT Server version 4.0 Service Pack 3 (SP3) and has a Compaq NetFlex3 network adapter and Compaq Support Software Disk (SSD) version 2.04 installed, Event Viewer may record the following events:
Event ID: 4105 Source: CpqNF31 Description: Network link is down. Please check your cabling. See documentation for more information or contact your service provider.
Event ID: 4106 Source: CpqNF31 Description: Network link has been restored.
The NetFlex-3 10/100 network PCI card is set to 100 MB/full duplex. The NetFlex-3 driver provided with Windows NT 4.0 does not support full duplex mode at 100 MB.
To work around this problem, do one of the following:
- Obtain the updated driver for the NetFlex-3 PCI card in Softpack SP3206 from Compaq.
NOTE: SP3942 was the current version as of this writing. Go to:
For Windows NT 3.51 systems, get Compaq Softpack SP3302 (SSD 1.23A and NetFlex 3 driver version 3.06) from the following location:
The third-party contact information included in this article is provided to help you find the technical support you need. This contact information is subject to change without notice. Microsoft in no way guarantees the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
- For Windows NT 3.51 systems, get Compaq Softpack SP3302 (SSD 1.23A and NetFlex 3 driver version 3.06) from the following location: Set the NetFlex-3 card to half duplex.
- For Windows NT 3.51 systems, get Compaq Softpack SP3302 (SSD 1.23A and NetFlex 3 driver version 3.06) from the following location: Set the NetFlex-3 card to 10 MB.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Windows NT version 4.0. We are researching this problem and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.
Additional query words: NetFlex3 NIC connection lost netflx3
Keywords: kb3rdparty kbhardware kbhw kbsetup KB170950