Microsoft KB Archive/166636
Article ID: 166636
Article Last Modified on 8/20/2007
- Microsoft Word 97 Viewer
- Microsoft Office Word 2003
- Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q166636
This article contains answers to common questions about the Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000.
- ==== What is Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000? ====
Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000 is a small program that enables Word users to share their documents with people who do not use Microsoft Word for Windows. Word Viewer allows users to view and print Word documents exactly as they appear in Word.
For more information, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- ==== Where can I get Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000? ====
For more information about obtaining the Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
165908 Description of the Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000
- ==== What features are included with Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000? ====
Word 97-2000 Viewer includes the following, market-leading Microsoft Word 97-2000 features:
- Online layout view for easy reading of online documents, including those with background colors and textures.
- Document Map for navigation through longer documents.
- Hyperlink navigation to open any hyperlink in a document with your installed browser.
Note Microsoft Word 97 and Microsoft Word 2000 share a common file format, therefore Word Viewer 97-2000 can read and display documents created in Word 97 and Word 2000. Word 2000 has some advanced features that are not part of Word 97, and these features may not appear correctly in Word Viewer 97-2000. Some examples include nested tables, text wrapping around tables, Web frames pages, and advanced Web formatting.
Word 97-2000 Viewer does not allow you to edit files. However, it allows you to copy information from a document to other applications.
- ==== What are the system requirements for Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000? ====
The system requirements include the following:
- A personal computer with a 486 or higher processor.
- Microsoft Windows 95 operating system or Microsoft Windows NT Workstation operating system 3.51 or later.
- 4 MB of memory for Windows 95 (8 MB recommended).
- 12 MB of memory for Windows NT Workstation.
- 7 MB of hard disk space (9 MB free for installation only).
- VGA or higher-resolution video adapter.
- Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device.
- ==== How can I get technical support for Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000? ====
To obtain help with Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000, please see the following resources:
- === Microsoft Support Options ===
If you cannot resolve this issue, several support options are available to assist you.
Quickly Find Answers Yourself Online
Use Microsoft Online Support to search the Microsoft Knowledge Base and other technical resources for fast, accurate answers. You can also customize the site to control your search.
To start your search, locate the following Web site:
Microsoft Product Support
Contact a Microsoft Product Support professional to assist you with troubleshooting problems.
For more information about obtaining help with troubleshooting Microsoft Windows, click Help Topics on the Help menu in Windows Explorer. On the Contents tab, double-click to open the Troubleshooting book. Then double-click to open the Contact Microsoft Technical Support book to view your support options.
For more information about obtaining help with troubleshooting Microsoft , click About Microsoft on the Help menu, and then click Tech Support.
For additional information about Microsoft support services, please click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
102344 Microsoft Product Support options Q&A
Microsoft Solution Providers
Microsoft Solution Providers are independent organizations that have teamed with Microsoft to use technology to solve business problems for companies of all sizes and industries.
To locate a Microsoft Solution Provider in your area in the U.S. and Canada, call the Microsoft Sales Information Center at (800) 426-9400. If you are outside the United States, contact your local subsidiary. To locate your subsidiary, see the Microsoft World Wide Offices Web site at:
- Refer to the accompanying Readme.doc file for product information.
- === Microsoft Support Options ===
- ==== I have Microsoft Word 97 and Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000 installed on the same computer. I'm having problems with the wrong application being started. What can I do about this? ====
There are various situations where the wrong application starts if both Word and Word Viewer are installed on the same machine. For more information, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
166051 Microsoft Word starts instead when you start Microsoft Word Viewer
- ==== I installed Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000 and now WordMail isn't working. What is happening? ====
Microsoft Outlook is trying to start Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000 instead of Microsoft Word as the e-mail editor.
- ==== Every time I start Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000, it starts a new instance. Can I change this? ====
No. This is a limitation of Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
166062 Word Viewer always starts as new instance of program
- ==== Where is the toolbar in Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000? ====
Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000 does not have a toolbar. Adding toolbar support to Word Viewer would have made the program significantly larger and would have slowed down the program start time. To make Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000 as small and as fast as possible, toolbar support was removed.
- ==== Why do I get a message about margins set outside the printable region when I print a document? ====
When the document was created in Microsoft Word, one or more of the margins was set smaller than what your current printer can print. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
166055 Margins outside printable area error in Word Viewer
- ==== How do I restore Microsoft Word as the default.doc application after I make Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000 the default.doc application? ====
You must uninstall Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000, reinstall it, and choose the Open with Word option during Setup. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Windows taskbar, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Click Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000, and then click Add/Remove.
- Click the Remove All option.
Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000 is now removed. Run Setup from where you originally installed it and choose the Open with Word option.
- ==== Can I make copies of Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000 and distribute it to other people? ====
Yes. Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000 is a freeware product. Microsoft encourages you to distribute Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000 along with your Word 97 documents to people who do not have Word 97.
A 3.5-inch disk set of Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000 is available for a standard shipping and handling charge. To order this disk set, call the Microsoft Order Desk at (800) 360-7561.
To make your own 3.5-inch disk set, follow the Disk Distribution instructions in the Readme.doc file located in the WordView program directory.
Note You can use the Microsoft Word 97-2000 Viewer to view documents that were created in Microsoft Word 97, in Microsoft Word 2000, in Microsoft Word 2002, and in Microsoft Office Word 2003.
Additional query words: WD97 WD2000 WD2002 WD2003 WV
Keywords: kbinfo KB166636