Microsoft KB Archive/103192
Article ID: 103192
Article Last Modified on 1/18/2007
- Microsoft Access 1.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 1.1 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 2.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 95 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q103192
Moderate: Requires basic macro, coding, and interoperability skills.
This article describes how to duplicate the Microsoft Excel FillDown method in Microsoft Access.
In Microsoft Access, you can use an update query to achieve fill down functionality. The following example creates a copy of the Orders table in the sample database Northwind.mdb (or NWIND.MDB in versions 1.x and 2.0) before performing the fill down functionality to make every shipping charge $10.00.
- Open the sample database Northwind.mdb (or NWIND.MDB).
- Select the Orders table, and on the Edit menu, click Copy.
- On the Edit menu, click Paste. Type Orders1 for the new table name, and then click OK.
- Create a new query based on the Orders1 table.
- Drag the Freight field to the QBE grid.
- On the Query menu, click Update Query (or Update in Microsoft Access 7.0 or earlier).
- On the Update To line in the Freight column of the QBE grid, type $10.00, and then press the TAB key.
- On the Query menu, click Run. Microsoft Access informs you that 830 records will be updated (1078 in versions 1.x and 2.0). Click OK.
- Open the Orders1 table. Note that all the records have a Freight value of $10.00.
Keywords: kbhowto kbusage KB103192