Microsoft KB Archive/931712
Article ID: 931712
Article Last Modified on 1/4/2008
- Windows Vista Home Basic
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows Vista Ultimate
- Windows Vista Business
- Windows Vista Enterprise
- Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista Business 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista Starter
- Microsoft Windows Update
- Microsoft Update
When you try to install Windows Vista updates or components, you may experience the following symptoms:
- When you try to install an update by using the Windows Update Web site, you receive an error message that includes the following error code: The update does not install.
- When you click Turn Windows features on or off in the "Programs and Features" Control Panel item, the Windows Features dialog box is empty. No features are shown.
When this problem occurs, a log entry that resembles the following may appear in the System log:
Log Name: System
Date: 2/5/2007 9:49:08 AM
Event ID: 4375
Task Category: None
Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package xxxxxx (Software Update) into Default(Default) state
After this error occurs, you may be unable to install any other software updates.
This problem may occur when the component store that contains information about Vista components is corrupted.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Click Start, type %windir%\winsxs in the Start Search box
- Press ENTER.
- Locate and right-click the pending.xml file.
- Click to select Properties.
- Click the Security tab, and then click Edit.
- Click Users, and then click to select Allow Full control.
- Click OK two times.
- Try to delete the pending.xml file again.
Keywords: kbexpertisebeginner kbtshoot kbprb KB931712