Microsoft KB Archive/931479
Article ID: 931479
Article Last Modified on 4/10/2007
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002
- Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
When you use the Point And Print feature in Windows Vista to try to print to a shared printer, the print server experiences a Stop error. You receive one of the following Stop error messages on the print server:
Error message 1
Error message 2
You experience this problem if the following conditions are true:
- The print server is running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 or Microsoft Windows XP.
Note Typically, this problem occurs when the print server is running a Japanese version of Windows, and the print server is configured to use the Japanese (Japan) locale.
- The client computer does not render the print job.
By default, the Windows Vista print spooler uses client-side rendering. However, the print job is rendered on the server if client-side rendering is turned off, or if the print spooler detects that the client's print driver does not support client-side rendering.
This problem occurs because the Win32k.sys driver cannot parse the spool file that the Windows Vista-based computer creates.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information about the Point and Print feature, visit the following Microsoft Web sites:
Windows Point and Print Technical Overview
Point and Print Security on Windows Vista
Keywords: kbprb kbtshoot kbexpertiseinter kbprint KB931479