Microsoft KB Archive/93125
Excel DAM: "File Read Error" When Logging onto Remote Database
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Excel for the Macintosh, versions 3.0, 4.0
When attempting to log in to a remote database using the Data Access Macro (DAM), Microsoft Excel may return the message "File Read Error." This problem is can be caused by a corrupted DAL Preferences file.
If the remote database can be accessed using a utility such as the DAL Tester, then the problem is very likely caused by a missing carriage return at the end of the DAL Preferences file. To verify and correct the problem:
- Open the DAL Preferences file in a text editor. Double-clicking the file should open it directly into the TeachText application.
- Scroll to the bottom of the document.
- Place the insertion point after the last visible character in the file.
- Type a carriage return (press the RETURN key).
- Save the file.
- Open Microsoft Excel and launch the Data Access Macro.
- From the Data Menu, choose Set Database, and select the External Database option in the following dialog box.
- Choose the New button in the Set External Database dialog box.
At this point, the host database should be accessible.
If the DAL Tester utility also returns a "File Read" error after you type the host name at the "Hostname?" prompt, the DAL Preferences file is probably corrupt. At this point, a new DAL Preferences file should be installed from the Macintosh System disks into the hard disk's Preferences Folder.
NOTE: If you are using System 7.1 or later, the DAL software is not automatically installed with the operating system; contact Apple for further assistance.
The host and/or network may require special settings in the DAL Preferences file. Consult with your network and/or database administrator for further assistance.
Additional query words: 4.00 novell db2 db/2 rdb oracle ingres
Issue type :
Technology : kbvcSearch
Last Reviewed: July 23, 1999