Microsoft KB Archive/930940
Article ID: 930940
Article Last Modified on 5/30/2007
- Microsoft Office Word 2007
- Microsoft Office Word 2003
- Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition
Consider the following scenario. In Microsoft Word 2000, in Microsoft Word 2002, or in Microsoft Office Word 2003, you create a document (.doc) file that includes a table of contents. You open the .doc document in Microsoft Office Word 2007 and then save the .doc document as a .docx document. Then, you open the .docx document by using the earlier version of Word. When you do this, the page numbers on the table of contents are displayed incorrectly.
Note In earlier versions of Word, you have to install the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats if you want to open the .docx document that you created in Word 2007. For more information about the Compatibility Pack, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
To work around this problem, follow these steps:
- Open the .docx document in the earlier version of Word.
- Right-click the table of contents, and then click Update Field.
- In the Update Table of Contents dialog box, click to select the Update page numbers only check box, and then click OK.
- Save the document.
Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available.
Keywords: kbexpertisebeginner kbprb kbtshoot KB930940