Microsoft KB Archive/929855
Article ID: 929855
Article Last Modified on 3/19/2007
- Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition
- Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition
- Windows Vista Business
- Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition
- Windows Vista Enterprise
- Windows Vista Ultimate
When you install a program on a Windows Vista-based computer, the installation procedure does not finish after the computer restarts.
This issue may occur if the following conditions are true:
- The Setup program requires that a file or a folder be moved after the computer restarts.
- The file or the folder has been encrypted during installation. Typically, the Setup program has used the %temp% folder as a staging area. However, that folder is marked for encryption.
- When the Setup program tries to move the encrypted file after the computer restarts, the Local Security Authority (LSA) service is not ready. Therefore, the Encrypting File System (EFS) is not available.
To work around this issue, disable encryption on the %temp% folder, and then reinstall the program. To disable encryption on the %temp% folder in Windows Vista, follow these steps:
- Click Start, type run in the Search box, and then click Run under Programs.
- Type %temp%, and then press ENTER.
- In the Temp folder, click Properties on the Organize menu.
- On the General tab, click Advanced.
- Click to clear the Encrypt contents to secure data check box, and then click OK two times.
- Click Apply the changes to this folder, subfolders and files, and then click OK.
Keywords: kbexpertisebeginner kbtshoot kbprb KB929855