Microsoft KB Archive/929523
Article ID: 929523
Article Last Modified on 12/20/2006
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows Vista Ultimate
- Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition
- Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition
When you press MUTE on the remote during live TV playback, closed captions may not appear on the TV screen that is connected to the Media Center Extender for Windows Vista. The issue occurs even if Windows Media Center is configured to display closed captions when the audio is muted.
This issue may occur if one of the following conditions is true:
- Closed captioning is not enabled on the TV set.
- You are using a component video output cable to connect the Extender to your TV set. The issue occurs because the Extender does not support closed captioning through component video output.
To display closed captions when you are using the Extender, follow these steps:
- Connect the Extender to the TV set by using an S-video cable or by using a composite video output cable.
- Verify that closed captioning is enabled on your TV set. The steps to do this are different for each TV set. For more information about how to enable closed captioning on your TV set, see the user's manual for your TV set.
- Verify that closed captioning is enabled on the computer. To turn on or to turn off closed captioning, follow these steps:
- Start the Extender.
- Press the START button on the remote, and then select Settings.
- Select TV, and then select Audio.
- Under Caption Display, use one of the following methods:
- Select On.
- Select Off.
- Select On when muted.
- Select Save.
Keywords: kbexpertisebeginner kbtshoot kbprb KB929523