Microsoft KB Archive/929357
Article ID: 929357
Article Last Modified on 4/25/2007
- Zune Digital Media Player
- Zune software
After you install the Zune software and you connect a Zune device to the computer, the Zune software does not recognize the device.
In the Navigation Pane of the Zune software, the device does not appear as connected. Also, in the Sync pane, you receive the following message:
Connect a Zune device
For more information about symptoms that you may experience when this issue occurs, see the "More Information" section.
In the Zune software version 1.2 and earlier, this issue may occur if the log file or the database in the %Systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 folder is corrupted. This issue can also occur if other errors exist in Cryptographic Services.
Note Typically, the "systemroot" path segment on a Windows XP-based computer represents "C:\Windows."
THINGS TO TRY
- To resolve this issue, update to the current version of the Zune software. To do this, click Options, click Help, and then click Check for Updates. Follow the steps that appear on the screen to update the software.
- If the computer is not connected to the Internet, you can workaround this issue by rebuilding the Catroot2 folder. To rebuild the Catroot2 folder, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
- At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:
net stop cryptsvc
ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
net start cryptsvc
- Remove all Tmp*.cat files from the following folder:
- Wait approximately 10 minutes to make sure that Cryptsvc has enough time to re-create the database.
For more information about how to troubleshoot issues with Cryptographic services, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
822798 You cannot install some updates or programs
You may also experience the following symptoms after you install the Zune software:
- You receive system notifications about the device installation in Windows. For example, you may receive messages such as the following:
- In Device Manager under Portable Devices, the device appears as being installed and working correctly.
- The Zune software automatically starts when the device is connected to the computer.
- You cannot sync the device because the device does not appear in the Zune software.
- This issue is not resolved after you restart or reinstall the device or the Zune software.
Note Similar symptoms may result if permissions for other Windows registry folders are not set correctly. For more information about Windows registry permissions, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
911091 A PlaysForSure device or another Windows Media Player 10-compatible media device does not appear in Windows Media Player 10 even after the device appears to be installed correctly
For more information about how to troubleshoot connectivity issues for a Zune device, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
927876 The Zune software does not detect your Zune device
Keywords: kbzunehardware kbtshoot kbpubtypekc kbzuneamericasportal kbexpertisebeginner KB929357