Microsoft KB Archive/928568
Article ID: 928568
Article Last Modified on 6/19/2007
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Workgroup Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 64-bit Edition
Bug #: 50000478 (SQL Hotfix)
Microsoft distributes Microsoft SQL Server 2000 fixes as one downloadable file. Because the fixes are cumulative, each new release contains all the hotfixes and all the security fixes that were included with the previous SQL Server 2000 fix release.
This article describes the following about this hotfix release:
- The issues that are fixed by the hotfix package
- The prerequisites for installing the hotfix package
- Whether you must restart the computer after you install the hotfix package
- Whether the hotfix package is replaced by any other hotfix package
- Whether you must make any registry changes
- The files that are contained in the hotfix package
In rare situations, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 stops responding when you cancel a query or when a query time-out occurs. Additionally, error messages that resemble the following are logged in the SQL Server error log file:
This problem occurs if the following conditions are true:
- The query performs operations on binary large object (BLOB) data types. Examples of binary large object data types include the Text data type, the NText data type, and the Image data type.
- The query contains the UNION operator or the OUTER JOIN operator.
- The query spends significant time processing the binary large object data types.
The installer does not install this hotfix correctly on x64-based systems. This installation issue occurs when the following conditions are true:
- The system uses the Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) AMD64 processor architecture or the Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology (EM64T) processor architecture.
Note This issue does not occur on systems that use the Intel Itanium processor architecture.
- The system is running a 64-bit version of the Microsoft Windows Server operating system.
- The system is running a 32-bit version of SQL Server 2000.
We have corrected this installation issue in later builds of SQL Server 2000, starting with version 8.00.2244. When a customer who is running SQL Server 2000 on an x64-based system requests this hotfix, we will provide a build that includes this hotfix and that can be installed correctly on an x64-based system. The build that we provide will be version 8.00.2244 or a later version.
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft. However, it is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next SQL Server 2000 service pack that contains this hotfix.
To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Customer Support Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Support Services telephone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.
- SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4)
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
290211 How to obtain the latest SQL Server 2000 service pack
You do not have to restart the computer after you apply this hotfix.
You do not have to change the registry.
Hotfix file information
This hotfix contains only those files that are required to correct the issues that this article lists. This hotfix may not contain all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build.
The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time item in Control Panel.
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time||Platform|
|Tempcatsign.cdf||Not Applicable||2,113||17-Nov-2006||02:16||Not Applicable|
|80sp4-tools.sql||Not Applicable||134,628||18-Feb-2006||09:40||Not Applicable|
|Procsyst.sql||Not Applicable||552,068||16-Jun-2005||08:15||Not Applicable|
|Replcom.sql||Not Applicable||1,214,733||16-Nov-2006||08:36||Not Applicable|
|Replmerg.sql||Not Applicable||1,151,521||16-Nov-2006||08:36||Not Applicable|
|Replsys.sql||Not Applicable||1,096,075||31-Jul-2006||09:21||Not Applicable|
|Repltran.sql||Not Applicable||1,000,634||02-Feb-2006||05:59||Not Applicable|
|Sp4_serv_qfe.sql||Not Applicable||18,810||16-Jun-2005||08:15||Not Applicable|
To work around this problem, use one of the following techniques:
- Avoid canceling the query.
- Avoid using time-consuming operations on the binary large object data types. These operations make the query resource intensive and may slow down the server.
- Rewrite the query to avoid the UNION operator or the OUTER JOIN operator.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information about the naming schema for SQL Server updates, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
822499 New naming schema for Microsoft SQL Server software update packages
For more information about software update terminology, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Keywords: kbexpertiseadvanced kbtshoot kbfix kbhotfixserver kbqfe kbpubtypekc KB928568