Microsoft KB Archive/927597
Article ID: 927597
Article Last Modified on 4/25/2007
- Zune software
This article describes how to use the Zune software to play songs and videos. You can find these songs and videos in the following locations:
- In the Zune library
- On the computer or on a network folder but not in the Zune library
- On a CD
Play a file in your Zune library
- In the Navigation Pane, click Library, and then locate the item that you want to play. If the library does not display the media type that you are looking for, click the media selector for the category that you want to use. For example, if you see your music but you want to see your videos.
- Use one of the following procedures:
- Double-click the item to play it. Depending on the item that you double-click, several items might start to play. To play a single item, drag the item to the List pane instead.
- Drag one or more items to the Playback task selector view of the List pane.
If the item does not automatically start to play, double-click the first item in the list.
You can drag individual items, such as one or more songs, or collections of items, such as one or more albums, artists, genres, years, or ratings, to the List pane.
If you cannot see the List pane, click the Playback task selector near the Search box.
If the List pane already contains other items, you can clear the contents. To do this, click the Clear List pane button.
Play a file that is not in your Zune library
- On the Options menu, click Open File.
- Select the file that you want to play.
- If you cannot see the List pane, click Playback task selector near the search box. Then drag an item from a folder on the computer to the List pane.
- By default, items that you play are automatically added to your library. To change this option, follow these steps:
- In the Options menu, point to Playback, and then click More Options.
- On the Zune Software tab, click to clear the Add media files to library when played check box.
- Click OK.
Play a CD
You can use the Zune software to play audio CDs. You can also play data CDs known as media CDs that contain music or video files. To do this, follow these steps:
- Start the Zune software.
- Insert the CD that you want to play into the drive.
Typically, the disc will start to play. If the disc does not start to play, or if you want to select a disc that is already inserted, point to Playback on the Options menu, and then click the drive that contains the disc.
Play files when you switch users
The Zune software automatically stops playing a file when you use the Fast User Switching feature of Microsoft Windows XP to change users on the computer. If you want playback to continue when you switch between user accounts, follow these steps:
- On the Options menu, point to Playback, and then click More Options. \
- On the Zune Software tab, click to clear the Stop playback when switching to a different user check box.
Keywords: kbzunesoftware kbexpertisebeginner kbpubtypekc kbzuneamericasportal kbhowto KB927597