Microsoft KB Archive/927077
Article ID: 927077
Article Last Modified on 10/15/2007
- Microsoft Office Word 2007
When you use Microsoft Office Word 2007 to save a document that contains a bulleted list or a numbered list, the bulleted list or the numbered list becomes misaligned.
This issue occurs if the following conditions are true:
- The document is saved in a format from an earlier version of Microsoft Word.
- The bulleted list or the numbered list uses custom tabs.
This problem occurs because Word 2007 does not automatically create a tab as part of a hanging indent for a bullet in a list or for a number in a list. Earlier versions of Word automatically create a tab as part of a hanging indent for a bullet in a list or for a number in a list.
To work around this issue, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Modify the layout options
- Open the document that contains the misaligned list.
- Click the Microsoft Office Button, click Word Options, and then click Advanced.
- In the Compatibility Options for area, expand Layout Options.
- Click to clear the Don't use automatic tab stop for hanging indent check box.
Method 2: Add a manual tab stop for the hanging indent
- Open the document that contains the misaligned list, and then click the misaligned line.
- On the Home tab, click the Paragraph Dialog Box Launcher.
- In the Indentation area of the Paragraph dialog box, note the values for Left and Special: Hanging.
- Add together the values for Left and Special: Hanging.
- Click Tabs on the Paragraph dialog box.
- Type the total from step 4 in the Tab Stop Position box.
- Click Set, and then click OK.
Additional query words: WD2007 Word2007
Keywords: kbtshoot kbbug kbformat kbprb kbexpertisebeginner KB927077