Microsoft KB Archive/924730
Article ID: 924730
Article Last Modified on 10/20/2006
- Microsoft Exchange 2000 Enterprise Server
- Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Standard Edition
After you restore a mailbox store to a recovery server that is running Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server, you cannot connect to that mailbox store by using the Microsoft Exchange Server Mailbox Merge Wizard (ExMerge). When you view the ExMerge log, you see an error message that resembles the following:
Additionally, the following event may be logged in the Application log:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeSA
Event Category: MAPI Session
Event ID: 9175
Description: The MAPI call 'OpenMsgStore' failed with the following error: The attempt to log on to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer has failed. The MAPI provider failed. Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store ID no: 8004011d-0512-00000000
This problem occurs if the mailbox store that contains the System Attendant mailbox is not mounted.
To resolve this problem, make sure that the mailbox store that contains the System Attendant mailbox is mounted on the recovery server. Typically, the System Attendant mailbox is homed on the first mailbox store that is named Mailbox Store (
Mount the mailbox store that contains the System Attendant mailbox
Note By default, the System Attendant mailbox is created in the first mailbox store in the first storage group on the first Exchange server.
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft Exchange, and then click System Manager.
- If Administrative Groups are not enabled, go to step 3. If Administrative Groups are enabled, expand the Administrative Groups container, and then expand the first
- Expand the Servers container.
- Expand the first
- Expand the First Storage Group object.
- Right-click the Mailbox Store (
Server_Name) store object, and then click Mount Store.
- Click OK.
- Expand the Mailbox Store (
Server_Name) object, and then click Mailboxes.
- In the right pane, verify that the System Attendant mailbox exists. If you do not find the System Attendant mailbox, right-click the Mailboxes container, and then click Run Clean-up Agent. The System Attendant mailbox will appear and will be connected.
- Exit Exchange System Manager.
- Run ExMerge.
For more information about database recovery, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
For more information about database recovery, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
813337 How to recover or restore a single mailbox in Exchange 2000 Server
823176 How to recover or to restore a single mailbox in Exchange Server 2003
For more information about ExMerge, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
174197 Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Merge program (Exmerge.exe) information
292509 How to configure an account to use the ExMerge utility in Exchange 2000 Server and in Exchange Server 2003
Additional query words: XADM
Keywords: kberrmsg kbtshoot kbprb KB924730