Microsoft KB Archive/924015
Article ID: 924015
Article Last Modified on 10/18/2006
- Microsoft Class Server 4.0
You use the default settings when you install Microsoft Class Server 4.0. Then, a student logs on to a school Web site in Class Server 4.0. When the student clicks a class link under My Classes, the student cannot log on to the class Web site. Instead, the student is prompted three times to enter his or her user name and password. Additionally, the student receives the following error message:
This issue occurs if the student is not assigned Browse Directories permissions to the class Web site. These permissions are assigned in Windows SharePoint Services.
To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods:
Note By default, the Students Only link for the My Classes Web Part uses the following string:
Students cannot use this string to log on to the class Web site if they do not have Browse Directories permissions to the class Web site.
To change the string that is used for the Students Only link, follow these steps:
- Log on to the school Web site as a teacher or as an administrator.
- On the home page of the school Web site, click the arrow next to My Classes, and then click Modify Shared Web Part.
- In the My Classes pane, type the following in the Select Link (Student Only) box:
- Click OK.
Note Students will receive the following error message when they click a link to a class Web site that has not been created:
This occurs after you perform the steps in this method.
Method 2: Assign Browse Directories permissions to the student
To assign Browse Directories permissions to the student, add the Browse Directories permissions to the site group that the user belongs to in Windows SharePoint Services. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Site Settings page of the school Web site, click Go to Site Administration.
- On the Site Administration page, click Manage site groups under Users and Permissions.
- Click the site group that you want to configure, and then click Edit Site Group Permissions.
- Under Site Rights on the Edit Site Group "
SiteGroupName" page, click to select the Browse Directories - Browse directories in a Web site check box, and then click Submit.
For more information about how to work with Web Parts and Web Part Pages in Class Server 4.0, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
For more information about how to install and manage Class Server 4.0, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Additional query words: logon login unable
Keywords: kberrmsg kbtshoot kbexpertiseinter kbprb KB924015