Microsoft KB Archive/923979
Article ID: 923979
Article Last Modified on 12/12/2007
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition
Bug #: 11656 (SQL Server CE)
Microsoft distributes Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition fixes as one downloadable file. Because the fixes are cumulative, each new release contains all the hotfixes and all the security fixes that were included with the previous SQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition fix release.
When you try to insert a row or perform other database operations in a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition database, you may receive the following error message:
You may also receive other random error messages when you try to access the database.
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next service pack that contains this hotfix.
To resolve this problem, submit a request to Microsoft Online Customer Services to obtain the hotfix. To submit an online request to obtain the hotfix, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Note If additional issues occur or any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. To create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
The following list contains prerequisites for the hotfix:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition
You do not have to restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement information
This hotfix does not replace any other hotfixes.
Hotfix file information
The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time item in Control Panel.
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time||Platform|
|Sqlce30.phone.wce5.armv4i.cab||Not Applicable||684,749||10-Aug-2006||09:25||Not Applicable|
|Sqlce30.repl.phone.wce5.armv4i.cab||Not Applicable||309,364||10-Aug-2006||09:25||Not Applicable|
|Sqlce30.ppc.wce4.armv4.cab||Not Applicable||1,544,581||10-Aug-2006||08:51||Not Applicable|
|Sqlce30.repl.ppc.wce4.armv4.cab||Not Applicable||707,339||10-Aug-2006||08:51||Not Applicable|
|Sqlce30.ppc.wce5.armv4i.cab||Not Applicable||684,749||10-Aug-2006||09:25||Not Applicable|
|Sqlce30.repl.ppc.wce5.armv4i.cab||Not Applicable||309,364||10-Aug-2006||09:25||Not Applicable|
|Sqlce30.repl.wce5.armv4i.cab||Not Applicable||728,843||10-Aug-2006||08:53||Not Applicable|
|Sqlce30.wce5.armv4i.cab||Not Applicable||1,586,061||10-Aug-2006||08:53||Not Applicable|
To install this hotfix, follow these steps:
- Extract the hotfix files onto your computer. This hotfix contains the following files:
- Binary files that contain fixes for the Microsoft Windows desktop computer.
- CAB files that contain fixed DLL files for the following mobile devices:
- Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 software for Pocket PCs-based devices
- Windows Mobile 5.0-based Smartphones
- Microsoft Windows Powered Pocket PC 2003-based devices
- Microsoft Windows CE 5.0-based mobile devices
- Install the correct CAB files to update SQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition on the mobile device:
- For Pocket PC-based mobile devices, install the CAB files from the PPC_cabs folder in the hotfix.
- For mobile phones, install the CAB files from the PHONE_cabs folder in the hotfix.
- If you use SQL Server Management Studio to manage mobile databases, replace the SQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition DLL files by using the files provided with this hotfix. To do this, copy the following files to the
SQLInstallPathis a placeholder for the folder on the desktop computer where SQL Server is installed.
- If you use Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 to develop and deploy applications, replace the SQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition DLL files by using the files provided with this hotfix. To do this, copy the following files to the
VSInstallPathis a placeholder for the folder on the desktop computer where Visual Studio 2005 is installed.
Copy the following files to the
VSInstallPath\SmartDevices\SDK\SQL Server\Mobile\v3.0\wce500\armv4i folder:
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section. This problem was corrected in SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Keywords: kbfix kbhotfixserver kbqfe kbpubtypekc KB923979