Microsoft KB Archive/51589
How to Format Percent Entries in a Pie Chart in Excel
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Excel for Windows, versions 2.x, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0
- Microsoft Excel for OS/2, versions 2.2, 3.0
If you have a pie chart in Microsoft Excel with values displayed in percentage format, you can change the number format.
Microsoft Excel versions 2.x and 3.0
These values represent percentages of values based on a 100-percent scale. The values are in text format. To change any of the values, select the desired value (you will see small squares around the value). Enter the formula bar by pressing F2 and type the new format. For example, if you have an entry such as 25.08% and want to display the integer portion only, enter:
This does not change the way the data has been charted.
Microsoft Excel version 5.0
By default, Microsoft Excel version 5.0 formats the percenatges as whole numbers. To change the default formatting, follow these steps:
- First select the data labels (make sure that all data labels are selected).
- Choose Selected Data Labels from the Format menu.
- In the Format Data Labels dialog, choose the Number tab. Under Category, choose Percentage, then select the appropriate percentage format. A custom number format may also be applied to the data labels.
Microsoft Excel version 4.0
Microsoft Excel version 4.0 displays percentages as whole numbers by default.
Additional query words:
Issue type :
Last Reviewed: March 15, 1999