Microsoft KB Archive/40261
Mac Works: Converting a Works Database to Microsoft File
PSS ID Number: Q40261 Article last modified on 10-22-1998
1.0 1.1 2.0 3.0 4.0
|The information in this article applies to:|
|- Microsoft Works for the Macintosh, versions 1.x, 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0|
Below is a description of the process required for importing information from a Microsoft Works database document into a Microsoft File database document.
In Microsoft Works, do the following:
- Open the database to be transferred to Microsoft File.
- From the Works File menu, choose Save As.
- In the Save Document As box, type a new name for the document.
- Choose the folder and the disk to transfer the file to.
- In version 2.0 of Works, choose Export and click Save.
- In versions 3.0 and 4.0 of Works, choose Text from the File Format box, then click Save.
In Microsoft File, do the following:
- Create a new data file with as many fields as the Works document has. The field names do not have to match the names in the Works document (for example, spelling, upper/lowercase), but the field names must be in the same order as they occur in the Works export document.
- Close the form.
- Choose Open Datafile from the File menu and select the name of the text file saved from Works. The text file will be read into the data file line by line. Each tab that File encounters will cause the subsequent entry to be placed into the next field. Each carriage return will place data into the next record.
KBCategory: kbusage kbinterop KBSubcategory: macworkskb
Additional reference words: 1.00 1.10 2.00 3.00 4.00 M_FiLe mwksdb mwksconv ====================================================================== Keywords : kbinterop Version : 1.0 1.1 2.0 3.0 4.0 Platform : MACINTOSH Issue type : kbhowto ============================================================================= Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1998.