Microsoft KB Archive/256096
Article ID: 256096
Article Last Modified on 12/5/2007
- Microsoft COM+ 1.0
- Microsoft COM+ 1.5
This article was previously published under Q256096
Queued Components (QC) rely on Microsoft Message Queue Server (MSMQ) as a transport. To use QC you must have MSMQ installed. If you do not have MSMQ installed, when you try to set the Queued option for the COM+ application from the Queuing tab, the following error message is returned:
Follow these steps to install MSMQ 2.0 on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows 2000 and Microsoft Windows XP:
- In Control Panel, double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
- On the left tab of the Add/Remove Programs window, click Add/Remove Windows Components.
- Once the Windows Components Wizard opens, click to select the Message Queuing Services item. Click Next.
This will start the MSMQ 2.0 setup process. Your Windows 2000 and Windows XP installation CD-ROM, network share, or install point must be available.
- MSMQ will display an installation dialog box. You will be prompted to install either an MSMQ server or a dependent client. Click Message Queuing Server.
- MSMQ will then search for a Domain Controller with MSMQ installed. If MSMQ doesn't find a domain controller automatically, it will display a dialog box requesting the "Name of the computer running MSMQ." You can type in the name of a Windows 2000 and Windows XP Domain Controller.
- You can also choose to install MSMQ 2.0 in Workgroup mode (by selecting Message Queuing Will Not Access a Directory Service), but this alters the behavior of Queued Components.For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
247394 PRB: Permission Denied Error When You Use Queued Components in Workgroup Mode
For additional information to help you determine whether MSMQ was installed in AD or Workgroup mode, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
248500 How To Determine if MSMQ 2.0 Is Installed in Workgroup or Domain
After completing setup, you can see the MSMQ queues and messages under the Computer Management MMC Snap-In, under Administrative Tools:
- Computer Management
- Services And Applications
- Message Queuing
For a more detailed explanation of the MSMQ setup options, please refer to the MSMQ Platform SDK documentation on the following Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) Web site:
Additional query words: MSMQ MQ MSGQ COM PLus Queued Components setup install configure deploy
Keywords: kbhowto kbcomplusqc kbsysadmin KB256096