Microsoft KB Archive/256071
Article ID: 256071
Article Last Modified on 10/25/2006
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 1.2 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 1.2 Service Pack 4
This article was previously published under Q256071
The Systems Management Server (SMS) Hardware Inventory agent does not detect Pentium III processors. The Hardware Inventory agent also does not correctly identify Pentium II processors that are of type "Family 6 model 6."
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that this article describes. Apply it only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.
To resolve this problem, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services telephone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.
The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:
Date Time Size File name Platform ---------------------------------------------------- 05/02/2000 07:47am 4.19 KB Getcomp.exe Intel 05/02/2000 07:48am 276 KB Inv32cli.exe Intel 05/02/2000 07:49am 108 KB Invproc.dll Intel 05/02/2000 07:49am 288 KB Invwin32.exe Intel 03/21/2000 07:48am 14.5 KB Os2bios.exe Intel 05/02/2000 07:51am 845 KB Inv32cli.exe Alpha 05/02/2000 07:50am 222 KB Invproc.dll Alpha 05/02/2000 07:51am 861 KB Invwin32.exe Alpha
NOTE: Due to file dependencies, the most recent hotfix or feature that contains the above files may also contain additional files.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Systems Management Server version 1.2.
To install the hotfix, follow these steps:
- Stop the SMS Executive and the SMS Inventory Agent services on the site server.
- Rename the Invproc.dll file in the SMS\Site.srv\X86.bin folder to Invproc.old.
- Copy the new Invproc.dll file to the folder that is listed in step 2.
- Replace the Invwin32.exe file in the
Platform.bin folder on the site server with the version obtained from the hotfix.
- Replace the Os2bios.exe, Inv32cli.exe, Invwin32.exe, and Getcomp.exe files in the
SMS_root\Site.srv\Maincfg.box\Client.src\X86.bin folder on the site server with the versions obtained from the hotfix.
- Replace the Inv32cli.exe and Invwin32.exe files in the
SMS_root\Site.srv\Maincfg.box\Client.src\Alpha.bin folder on the site server with the versions obtained from the hotfix.
- Restart the SMS Executive and SMS Inventory Agent services on the site server. Maintenance Manager propagates the changed files to the logon servers.
To update the clients, you can either manually run Upgrade.bat on each client, or use the method described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
166771 SMS: How to Force Site-Wide Client Updates
Additional query words: prodsms
Keywords: kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbbug kbfix KB256071