Microsoft KB Archive/255846
How to Manually Uninstall and Reinstall Microsoft Virtual Machine
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows 98
- Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
- Microsoft Windows 95
- Microsoft Windows NT Server version 4.0
- Microsoft virtual machine 1.0
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about editing the registry. Before you edit the registry, make sure you understand how to restore it if a problem occurs. For information about how to do this, view the "Restoring the Registry" Help topic in Regedit.exe or the "Restoring a Registry Key" Help topic in Regedt32.exe.
This article describes how to manually uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Virtual Machine (VM).
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys and Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it. If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).
To manually remove and reinstall the VM components:
- Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 /u msjava.dll, and then click OK.
- Remove the following keys from the registry:
- Click Start, click Shut Down, and then click Restart in MS-DOS mode.
- At the Windows prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:
- Download the Microsoft VM for Windows 95/Windows 98 and Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 from the following Microsoft Web site:
- Click the VM build for your operating system.
- Choose to run the program from the current location to install the update.
Additional query words:
Keywords : kbenv win95 win98 win98se
Issue type : kbhowto
Technology : kbWinNTsearch kbWinNT400xsearch kbWinNTSsearch kbWinNTS400xsearch kbWinNTS400 kbAudDeveloper kbWin95search kbWin98search kbWin98SEsearch kbVM kbWin95 kbWin98 kbWin98SE kbVMSearch
Last Reviewed: March 22, 2001