Microsoft KB Archive/255678
Article ID: 255678
Article Last Modified on 2/28/2007
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
This article was previously published under Q255678
When you try to gain access to a computer running Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server from a computer running Windows 2000, you may receive the following error message:
NOTE: The password prompt may not be displayed.
This error message can occur if a wrong error code is passed internally.
This error message only occurs under these circumstances:
- You enabled SMB signing on the computer running Windows NT 4.0.
- The name of the user account you are using exists on both computers.
- The user accounts have different passwords.
To resolve this issue, turn off SMB signing. For additional information about how to enable and disable SMB signing, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
161372 How to Enable SMB Signing in Windows NT
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Keywords: kbenv kberrmsg kbprb KB255678