Microsoft KB Archive/254065
Article ID: 254065
Article Last Modified on 11/26/2007
- Microsoft Outlook 98 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q254065
NOTE: These procedures only apply if you have installed Outlook with the Internet Mail Only option. To determine your installation type, click About Microsoft Outlook on the Help menu. If you have the Internet Mail Only option installed, you see "Internet Mail Only".
For information about the differences between Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express e-mail clients, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
257824 OL2000: Differences Between Outlook and Outlook Express
Yahoo! offers Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3) and Web-based e-mail services. This article describes how to configure an Internet Mail (IMO) account with Outlook.
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
Yahoo! offers POP3 e-mail services to its customers who join the Yahoo! Delivers program. For details about how to sign up for this service, or to check whether you already are a member, visit the Yahoo! Web site, and click the Mail link:
To access mail on the Yahoo! servers, you must be a member of this Yahoo! Delivers program.
How to Configure a POP3 E-mail Account
You must designate a new incoming (POP) mail server, and a new outgoing (SMTP) mail server if you want to use an e-mail client to send and receive Yahoo! e-mail messages.
The basic server settings for Yahoo! Mail are as follows:
|Incoming Mail (POP3) Server:||pop.mail.yahoo.com|
|Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server:||smtp.mail.yahoo.com|
|Account Name/Login Name:||Your Yahoo! Mail name (your address without the "@yahoo.com")|
|E-mail address:||Your Yahoo! Mail address (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|Password:||Your Yahoo! Mail password|
How to Add a New E-mail Account to Your Existing Profile in Outlook 98(IMO)
- On the Tools menu, click Accounts, click Add, and then click Mail.
- Type your name in the box, and then click Next.
- In the Email Address box, type your Yahoo! Mail e-mail address (for example, "email@example.com"), and then click Next.
- In the Incoming mail (POP3) box, type: pop.mail.yahoo.com.
- In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) box, type: smtp.mail.yahoo.com, and then click Next.
- In the Account Name box, type your Yahoo! Mail name (your address without the "@yahoo.com").
- In the Password box, type your Yahoo! Mail Password, and then click Next.
NOTE: Do not click to select the Log On Using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) check box.
- Choose the appropriate connection type, under the Which Method Do You Use to Connect to the Internet heading, and then click Finish.
How to Control the Deletion of Messages from the Yahoo! Mail Server
- On the Tools menu, click Accounts, and then click the Mail tab.
- Select your Yahoo! Mail account, and then click Properties.
- Click the Advanced tab, and then click to select the Leave a copy of messages on server check box.
If you want your messages deleted from the Yahoo! Mail server once you have received them in Outlook, do not check this box.
NOTE: Yahoo! provides some information in this article. This informtion is subject to change without notice. For current information please visit the following Yahoo! Web site:
IMPORTANT: The Yahoo! Mail SMTP server now requires authentication. To turn this setting on, follow these steps:
- From the Tools menu, click Accounts.
- Click the Mail tab.
- Click your Yahoo! Mail account, and then click Properties.
- Click Servers.
- Click to select the My Server Requires Authentication check box, and then click OK.
The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
Additional query words: OL2K
Keywords: kbconfig kbhowto kbsetup KB254065