Microsoft KB Archive/253866
Protected Operating System Files Hidden in Windows 2000
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Files and folders with the System and Hidden attributes are by default hidden in the graphical user interface (GUI) in Windows 2000. This behavior was implemented to simplify the GUI and to protect some operating system files.
To view protected operating system files:
- Double-click My Computer.
- On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
- Click the View tab.
- Click to clear the Hide protected operating system files check box.
- Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm your choice.
NOTE: Because protected operating system files have both the System and Hidden attributes, the Show hidden files and folders option must be selected to view these files and folders.
- Click OK.
Note that even if files and folders are hidden in the GUI, you can still gain access to them at a command prompt.
Additional query words:
Keywords : kbenv kbui KBW2KHOME
Issue type : kbinfo
Technology : kbwin2000AdvServ kbwin2000AdvServSearch kbwin2000DataServ kbwin2000DataServSearch kbwin2000Serv kbwin2000ServSearch kbwin2000Search kbwin2000ProSearch kbwin2000Pro kbWinAdvServSearch kbWinDataServSearch
Last Reviewed: October 24, 2000