Microsoft KB Archive/253768
Article ID: 253768
Article Last Modified on 1/27/2007
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
- Microsoft Office 2000 Premium Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Access 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft FrontPage 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q253768
When you run Microsoft Office 2000 Setup on a computer that is running either Microsoft Windows 2000 or Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, if you are prompted to insert your Microsoft Office 2000 compact disc (CD), you may receive the following error messages (in order):
This problem may occur when all of the following conditions are true:
- Your computer has either Microsoft Windows 2000 or Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 installed.
- You attempt to use a feature that is not yet installed on your computer, but that is set to be installed on first use; or, you run Microsoft Office 2000 Setup and choose to either repair (Repair errors in my Office installation) or reinstall Microsoft Office 2000.
- When Microsoft Office 2000 Setup runs, the incorrect CD is in your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. For example, if you are running Microsoft Office 2000 CD1 Setup, CD2 is in your drive.
- When you are prompted to insert the correct CD, you remove the incorrect CD; insert the correct CD, and then click OK.
- Version 1.1 of the Windows Installer is installed on your computer.
This problem can also occur if you attempt to use clip art that is stored on Microsoft Office 2000 CD2, when CD2 is not in your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
Specifically, the problem occurs because the Windows Installer continues to use cached CD information from the incorrect CD. As a result, the Windows Installer still assumes that the incorrect CD is in your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and Setup fails.
NOTE: This problem does not occur on computers that are running either Microsoft Windows 95 or Microsoft Windows 98.
If this problem occurs, follow these steps:
- Close all of the error messages described in the "Symptoms" section of this article.
- Leave the correct Microsoft Office 2000 CD in your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
- Start Microsoft Office 2000 Setup either by attempting to use the "install on first use" component that you previously attempted to use, or by running Microsoft Office 2000 Setup from the Add/Remove Programs icon in Control Panel. Or, attempt to use the clip art that you previously attempted to use.
If the correct CD is in the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive when the Windows Installer starts running, the problem described in the "Symptoms" section does not occur.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Additional query words: OFF2000 SR1PatchUpdatesInstaller DTIRPostSR1kb sr1 patch
Keywords: kbtshoot kbstartprogram kbsetup kberrmsg kbprb KB253768