Microsoft KB Archive/252898
Article ID: 252898
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
This article was previously published under Q252898
IN THIS TASK
This article describes how to enable the Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 Proxy Autodiscovery functionality for Windows 2000-based computers. Proxy Autodiscovery functionality is only available for Windows 2000-based Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) clients using Internet Explorer 5.0 or later. The DHCP server must be a Windows 2000-based server.
Proxy Autodiscovery provides a DHCP client with a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) that points to the proxy configuration file. The configuration file is created by your network administrator during the deployment of Internet Explorer 5.0 on your local intranet. The configuration file may contain settings for other Internet Explorer 5.0 configuration options, such as the default home page, or settings for locating and using a proxy server.
back to the top
Adding this Functionality to the DHCP Server
- Start DHCP Manager.
- Right-click the appropriate DHCP server, and then click Select Predefined Options.
- In the Option Class dialog box, click Standard Options, and then click Add.
- In the Name column, type Proxy Autodiscovery Option.
- In the Data Type dialog box, click String, and then click to clear the Array check box.
- Click the Code box, and then type 252.
- Click the Description box, type a brief description of the option, and then click OK.
- Click the String box, and then type the URL that points to the location of your configuration file.
- Click OK, and then quit DHCP Manager.
Configuring this Option for a Specific Scope
- Start DHCP Manager, and then double-click the appropriate DHCP scope.
- Right-click Scope Options and then click Configure Options.
- Click Advanced.
- In Vendor Class, click Standard Options.
- Under Available Options, click to select the 252 Proxy Autodiscovery check box, and then click OK.
Note that even if you have only one scope, you need to configure the option for that scope.
back to the top
Keywords: kbhowto kbhowtomaster kbnetwork KB252898